28 November 2004

How do I add code to my blogger entry so I can show the rss-wizards what I'm talking about?

How to do it

In blogger, have to manually replace the carrots in HTML with a four-character code.Ref

A. Left-pointing arrow with < -- Here

Here's how to make it:

this is a four [4] character command
1. First is the "at-sign" above the 7
2. Next is the letter "l" as in "larry"
3. Third is the letter "t" as in "tasha" then
4. The "semicolon"
B. Right-pointing arrow with -- > -- Here [this is a four-character command]

Here's how to make it:
1. First character is the at-sign avove the 7;
2. Second, immediately followed by the letter "g" as in "girl-power"
3. Third, then immediately followed by the letter "t" as in "theresa"
4. Fourth, finally, ending with the semicolon
You mean I have to go through all that HTML-code and manually replace this? I don't have time! This is insane!

Not to worry, you don't have to convert all of this manually. There's something called a "find and replace" option in your notepad. It's pretty slick and fast.

Quick way: Use a notepad with auto-"find and replace" and you can do it. Ref Ref

Detailed steps: Converting HTML code to something blogger will display

If you're in a browser do this:

Open the notepad Ref Ref

1. Right-click anywhere on this screen
2. You'll see a pop-up box.
3. "Back" is at the top; and "Properties" is at the bottom"
4. Look in the middle
5. Look for "view source". Click on that. Ref Ref
6. A big white box will appear, and you'll see a bunch of code. Yes! Ref

Place your code on a blank notepad to use as a converer platform
7. What you can do is "strip all the code out of the notepad" that you do not want to change
8. Highlight the text
9. Run your mouse down to the bottom
10. Cut it away, leaving a blank notepad
11. Get the code you want to convert, and place it in the blank notepad.

Goal: Choose the characters you want to replace

12. Look up at the top of the box. Near the blue. See "File". The second one over is Look for "Edit." Choose that.
13. You've clicked on "edit". Excellent.
14. Choose "replace"
15. You'll get a pop-up box. [Those pop-up boxes!] Ref

Enter what you want to change

16. This is where you get to enter the codes described above
17. Look for "Find what": Type in the left hand carrot: This
18. Look for "Replace with", and put in the the 4-part code Here

This is where you change half your code

19. Look on the right side of the pop-up box. You'll see 4-buttons:
Find Next
Replace
Replace All
Cancel Ref
15. Choose the third one, "Replace all"...[only half the carrots have been changed]
20. The right hand-carrot is changed;
21. Close that small-pop-up box, hit [x] in the upper right
22. Keep the notepad open
23. We're going to adjust the information a little, and we're going to start-over at the beginning of the document

Right carrot change

24. Now, let's change the other half of the HTML-carrots
25. Go back to the white-box-notepad editor
26. Again, choose "Edit"
27. Then choose "Replace"
28. Look for "Find what": Enter the "right-hand carrot"-symbol -- this
29. Look below that box...look for "Relace with" --
30. In "Replace with"-box ...Enter the second four-character code: Here.
31. Look to the right, Choose "replace all"

Congrats

32. Everything is replaced!
33. Copy the converted code. [You're almost there!]
34. Now take the code you just converted, and place it where you want it in blogger.

Here's a sample Conversion:

Orignal Code

[Check in the "view source" to see it -- "right click on mouse" then coose "view source" .... look for "Original code" to see what I'm talking about"]


6 2067

Converted code

<td class="dlCountMessages" bgcolor="#ffffff" align="right"&rt;6 </td&rt;<td class="dlCountReads" bgcolor="#ffffff" align="right"&rt;2067 </td&rt;</tr&rt;

Wow, another item for the blogger wish list: Quick method to place code in blogger-spots.


Original Blog


Purpose

This is one of those "I wish I could figure something out, but I can't get it right"-kind of blog entries. Ref

What's I'm trying to do

Post HTML in blogger so I can discuss the code.

What I've done

I tried the pre- and code-commands and I'm not able to get it to work.

Suggested steps

- Switch between Edit HTML and Compose
- put the code in the Edit HTML mode, not the Compose mode
- putting and around the lines you want to appear as code
[Note: Ths line has "code-commands" around the word "and"]


- switch to HTML mode while you add it, then switch back to Compose mode when you want to look at it
[This line also has code]

Here's my attempt [Look, I'm live-blogging]

1. I'm in the edit mode in blogger
2. I'll switch to Compose-mode [The button to the right of Edit HTML]

3. Now I'm typing in Compose-mode

4. I'm going to add the code here:



6 2067



[A. Line 4 is where I pasted the code and added the open and ending code-commands;
B. I've reverified that I've correctly typed in "code";

C. as you can see, from the "plain text" in blogger ... the non-HTML shows up fine, but the td- and bgcolor- and other lovely carrot-tops do not appear]


5. I just pasted code after typing and then ended the "code cut and paste" with

[Line-5 where I added the code commands again, "code" is before "and then ended the "code cut and paste with" ]


6. Now I'm looking at what I just wrote: Lines 1-6 and I'm still in the compose mode.
7. I'm going to hit "Edit HTML" to see if this worked.
8. I'm back into "Edit HTML" and it worked!
9. OMG!
10. Wait: When I went to "preview" ...it didn't show up correctly....hmmmm....Why can't blogger "show me in preview" what the code is going to look like?
11. Sense of foreboding, doom creeps in.

Summary

Here's how to "add code" to blogger.

A. Type in your plain-text using "Edit HTML".
B. When you get to the part where you "wnat to add the code", switch to "compose" mode [right of "Edit HTML]
C. Past your code
D. Switch back to "Edit HTML" when you are done posting the code.

Clearly, "what I've done" doesn't match:

A. What's been suggested
B. What "should" work
C. What works

Why is this so difficult?

Other notes

Ref
How to do it

In blogger, have to manually replace the carrots in HTML with a four-character code.Ref

A. Left-pointing arrow with < -- Here

Here's how to make it:

this is a four [4] character command
1. First is the "at-sign" above the 7
2. Next is the letter "l" as in "larry"
3. Third is the letter "t" as in "tasha" then
4. The "semicolon"
B. Right-pointing arrow with -- > -- Here [this is a four-character command]

Here's how to make it:
1. First character is the at-sign avove the 7;
2. Second, immediately followed by the letter "g" as in "girl-power"
3. Third, then immediately followed by the letter "t" as in "theresa"
4. Fourth, finally, ending with the semicolon
You mean I have to go through all that HTML-code and manually replace this? I don't have time! This is insane!

Not to worry, you don't have to convert all of this manually. There's something called a "find and replace" option in your notepad. It's pretty slick and fast.

Quick way: Use a notepad with auto-"find and replace" and you can do it. Ref Ref

Detailed steps: Converting HTML code to something blogger will display

If you're in a browser do this:

Open the notepad Ref Ref

1. Right-click anywhere on this screen
2. You'll see a pop-up box.
3. "Back" is at the top; and "Properties" is at the bottom"
4. Look in the middle
5. Look for "view source". Click on that. Ref Ref
6. A big white box will appear, and you'll see a bunch of code. Yes! Ref

Place your code on a blank notepad to use as a converer platform
7. What you can do is "strip all the code out of the notepad" that you do not want to change
8. Highlight the text
9. Run your mouse down to the bottom
10. Cut it away, leaving a blank notepad
11. Get the code you want to convert, and place it in the blank notepad.

Goal: Choose the characters you want to replace

12. Look up at the top of the box. Near the blue. See "File". The second one over is Look for "Edit." Choose that.
13. You've clicked on "edit". Excellent.
14. Choose "replace"
15. You'll get a pop-up box. [Those pop-up boxes!] Ref

Enter what you want to change

16. This is where you get to enter the codes described above
17. Look for "Find what": Type in the left hand carrot: This
18. Look for "Replace with", and put in the the 4-part code Here

This is where you change half your code

19. Look on the right side of the pop-up box. You'll see 4-buttons:
Find Next
Replace
Replace All
Cancel Ref
15. Choose the third one, "Replace all"...[only half the carrots have been changed]
20. The right hand-carrot is changed;
21. Close that small-pop-up box, hit [x] in the upper right
22. Keep the notepad open
23. We're going to adjust the information a little, and we're going to start-over at the beginning of the document

Right carrot change

24. Now, let's change the other half of the HTML-carrots
25. Go back to the white-box-notepad editor
26. Again, choose "Edit"
27. Then choose "Replace"
28. Look for "Find what": Enter the "right-hand carrot"-symbol -- this
29. Look below that box...look for "Relace with" --
30. In "Replace with"-box ...Enter the second four-character code: Here.
31. Look to the right, Choose "replace all"

Congrats

32. Everything is replaced!
33. Copy the converted code. [You're almost there!]
34. Now take the code you just converted, and place it where you want it in blogger.

Here's a sample Conversion:

Orignal Code

[Check in the "view source" to see it -- "right click on mouse" then coose "view source" .... look for "Original code" to see what I'm talking about"]


6 2067

Converted code

<td class="dlCountMessages" bgcolor="#ffffff" align="right"&rt;6 </td&rt;<td class="dlCountReads" bgcolor="#ffffff" align="right"&rt;2067 </td&rt;</tr&rt;

Wow, another item for the blogger wish list: Quick method to place code in blogger-spots.


Original Blog


Purpose

This is one of those "I wish I could figure something out, but I can't get it right"-kind of blog entries. Ref

What's I'm trying to do

Post HTML in blogger so I can discuss the code.

What I've done

I tried the pre- and code-commands and I'm not able to get it to work.

Suggested steps

- Switch between Edit HTML and Compose
- put the code in the Edit HTML mode, not the Compose mode
- putting and around the lines you want to appear as code
[Note: Ths line has "code-commands" around the word "and"]


- switch to HTML mode while you add it, then switch back to Compose mode when you want to look at it
[This line also has code]

Here's my attempt [Look, I'm live-blogging]

1. I'm in the edit mode in blogger
2. I'll switch to Compose-mode [The button to the right of Edit HTML]

3. Now I'm typing in Compose-mode

4. I'm going to add the code here:



6 2067



[A. Line 4 is where I pasted the code and added the open and ending code-commands;
B. I've reverified that I've correctly typed in "code";

C. as you can see, from the "plain text" in blogger ... the non-HTML shows up fine, but the td- and bgcolor- and other lovely carrot-tops do not appear]


5. I just pasted code after typing and then ended the "code cut and paste" with

[Line-5 where I added the code commands again, "code" is before "and then ended the "code cut and paste with" ]


6. Now I'm looking at what I just wrote: Lines 1-6 and I'm still in the compose mode.
7. I'm going to hit "Edit HTML" to see if this worked.
8. I'm back into "Edit HTML" and it worked!
9. OMG!
10. Wait: When I went to "preview" ...it didn't show up correctly....hmmmm....Why can't blogger "show me in preview" what the code is going to look like?
11. Sense of foreboding, doom creeps in.

Summary

Here's how to "add code" to blogger.

A. Type in your plain-text using "Edit HTML".
B. When you get to the part where you "wnat to add the code", switch to "compose" mode [right of "Edit HTML]
C. Past your code
D. Switch back to "Edit HTML" when you are done posting the code.

Clearly, "what I've done" doesn't match:

A. What's been suggested
B. What "should" work
C. What works

Why is this so difficult?

Other notes

Ref
" />