10 December 2004

Blogging: Why the end-user is having problems

Ever been at a good conference. It's a catalyst. New ideas. Left and right. You want to take it all in. And also take some notes. These are just seeds. With time, they'll germinate.

What if there was a way to record these snippets of ideas as blogs. They're not ready to publish. They may never actually be published. But it's nice to know that they're recorded.

Sometimes ideas combine. One blog entry flows into another. It's nice to have something that lets the blog-entries get combined. That's the problem I see with the current blogging technology. It's rigid.

My thought is that a solution would be to think of the power point presentation. You know how all those slides appear as micro-slides? You can see them all at once.

That's what bloggers need. So they can put all their partial blogs down on the "table" and see how they're flowing. Some ideas may not flow into a blog. But others, when rearranged, can build something new and different.

That's what I'd like to see when I say, "Feed management tools." A blogging-tool that supports the blogger. Seamlessly combining "ability to move ideas" like in Power Point, but give the end-user the ability to delay publishing.

I'm not simply talking about a few blog entries. The scale I see is several hundreds. Stored. Ready to use. Think of a newsroom. They have publishers running around coordinating things. This is sometimes done months in advance, even years.

Yet, someone has the "big picture" in mind. They know in advance where they'd like the final product to appear in the network lineup. That's what bloggers don't have. There's no "big picture" for a single blogger to take with "all these ideas."

This idea could also be useful for academics. Engaging in research. With many ideas and tangent lines, it's nice to have something that's more fluid. As I see it, blogs are very linear and rigid.

When you think of blogs, think of the towers of Babel game. Each of those chips has to be moved in a certain order.

But if you think about it, sometimes the chips have to be moved backwards. Back onto their starting point. That's how blogs are right now--the problem with the links not being "updatable."

If I have a multi-blog concept I'd like to share, I have to post in the reverse order. That way when I use the "parent-child concept of links" I can be sure I have "the right link" to put in the major menu.

Sure, some say "you need to have a website, not a blog." I don't agree. Sometimes, the single ideas are small enough that they don't need a major website, but they're more than a single blog-entry.

I've looked all over the web for something like this and have found nothing. There's no tool that combines presentations, program management, and feed publishing.

Summary

I'd like to see a next generation effort on feed management. Blogging isn't just about snippets of ideas. It's about supporting the feed.

I'd like to have the same tools the newsroom editors have when they use tack-boards for magazines. And then be able to re-arrange my blog order so that it's a logical flow. A progression. To something new.

That way, I'll be able to provide in-depth thought, but over many blogs. They'll all be linked in a central theme. And, I can make many blogs in a single day, and spread them over time.

With time, perhaps we'll have feed publishing tools that permit the "big boss" to take our feeds, and also recombine them into a larger corporate blog feed.

Blog integration tools. For feed management.
Ever been at a good conference. It's a catalyst. New ideas. Left and right. You want to take it all in. And also take some notes. These are just seeds. With time, they'll germinate.

What if there was a way to record these snippets of ideas as blogs. They're not ready to publish. They may never actually be published. But it's nice to know that they're recorded.

Sometimes ideas combine. One blog entry flows into another. It's nice to have something that lets the blog-entries get combined. That's the problem I see with the current blogging technology. It's rigid.

My thought is that a solution would be to think of the power point presentation. You know how all those slides appear as micro-slides? You can see them all at once.

That's what bloggers need. So they can put all their partial blogs down on the "table" and see how they're flowing. Some ideas may not flow into a blog. But others, when rearranged, can build something new and different.

That's what I'd like to see when I say, "Feed management tools." A blogging-tool that supports the blogger. Seamlessly combining "ability to move ideas" like in Power Point, but give the end-user the ability to delay publishing.

I'm not simply talking about a few blog entries. The scale I see is several hundreds. Stored. Ready to use. Think of a newsroom. They have publishers running around coordinating things. This is sometimes done months in advance, even years.

Yet, someone has the "big picture" in mind. They know in advance where they'd like the final product to appear in the network lineup. That's what bloggers don't have. There's no "big picture" for a single blogger to take with "all these ideas."

This idea could also be useful for academics. Engaging in research. With many ideas and tangent lines, it's nice to have something that's more fluid. As I see it, blogs are very linear and rigid.

When you think of blogs, think of the towers of Babel game. Each of those chips has to be moved in a certain order.

But if you think about it, sometimes the chips have to be moved backwards. Back onto their starting point. That's how blogs are right now--the problem with the links not being "updatable."

If I have a multi-blog concept I'd like to share, I have to post in the reverse order. That way when I use the "parent-child concept of links" I can be sure I have "the right link" to put in the major menu.

Sure, some say "you need to have a website, not a blog." I don't agree. Sometimes, the single ideas are small enough that they don't need a major website, but they're more than a single blog-entry.

I've looked all over the web for something like this and have found nothing. There's no tool that combines presentations, program management, and feed publishing.

Summary

I'd like to see a next generation effort on feed management. Blogging isn't just about snippets of ideas. It's about supporting the feed.

I'd like to have the same tools the newsroom editors have when they use tack-boards for magazines. And then be able to re-arrange my blog order so that it's a logical flow. A progression. To something new.

That way, I'll be able to provide in-depth thought, but over many blogs. They'll all be linked in a central theme. And, I can make many blogs in a single day, and spread them over time.

With time, perhaps we'll have feed publishing tools that permit the "big boss" to take our feeds, and also recombine them into a larger corporate blog feed.

Blog integration tools. For feed management.
" />