02 December 2004

Bloglines: You're listed, but your feed doesn't appear in the search

Wonderful! Another surprise.

Here's the run down. I signed up for bloglines, made sure my feed was listed.

Today, I thought I'd check out to see "how blog lines searches work." So, why not check out my own blog, see if blog lines picks anything up?

Can you feel where this is going? Yes, it gets better.

Wouldn't you know. My blog doesn't show up.

Even though I have a valid feed, and Bloglines even gave me a button to put on my site.

Wow!

But that's not all.

I even typed in the "words that are listed on my Bloglines entry" to see if I showed up.

Surprise.

Mind you, there are rumors that my site's Atom feed is valid. So why doesn't Bloglines let me find my own blog?

Oh, wait a minute. My feed only just got listed. On the 30th. Today, is the 1st. So that's the explanation.

Wait a minute. That means its been at least 24 hours. So shouldn't I expect to have my feed to have been checked at least...well...24 times since them?

Hmmm...let's go back to the original e-mail I got. That one I was supposed to confirm my validation. It's dated: 23 Nov 2004.


Bloglines Loves Me


Date: 23 Nov 2004 [removed]
From: "Bloglines Validation" [removed]
To: [removed]
Subject: Bloglines Validation Email

Hello,

This message is to validate that the email address you registered with
Bloglines, [removed] is correct.

To validate your address, click on the following link:

http://www.bloglines.com/val?key=[removed]

If you have not registered with Bloglines, please ignore this message.

Thanks,

The Bloglines Team


Great!

When I pressed the code, I got, "Account Validation Complete.
Your email address has been validated and your Bloglines membership has been confirmed."

Wait a minute. Even if I haven't confirmed [which I have], this doesn't explain why my blog doesn't appear in the search; nor does it explain why there's the "30 November date", yet today is the 1st of December.

In fact, the information says it has 16 listings for my blog.

Clearly, Bloglines knows my site is alive, yet there's nothing in the search.

Even if we go to the current feed, there's a little link you can hit that connects you here.

So, Bloglines knows that others are linking to me, but Bloglines doesn't let me search for me. That makes sense.

If you look at the member ID, you'll notice a section that says, " total subscriber ". I have one. How did he find me?

Is Bloglines really different; or is it normal to:

  • Invite people to join a blogging-search community that doesn't allow them to search and find for their own blog, inter alia;

  • Confirm that a registration is complete, but still doesn't let one confirm the search works;

  • Provide a button so that others can add a feed that cannot be found;

  • Confirm an account is valid, but provide nothing to confirm a search; or

  • List a feed, but then provide no means to actually find the feed?

    Perhaps I'm missing something obvious. At first blush this is somewhat kind of like Seinfeld at the car rental place saying, "Oh, you take the reservation, you just don't keep it."

    Thanks Bloglines! I have a nice button, I'm listed, I just can't find myself.

    Have you seen me? I appear to have vanished. Again.
  • Wonderful! Another surprise.

    Here's the run down. I signed up for bloglines, made sure my feed was listed.

    Today, I thought I'd check out to see "how blog lines searches work." So, why not check out my own blog, see if blog lines picks anything up?

    Can you feel where this is going? Yes, it gets better.

    Wouldn't you know. My blog doesn't show up.

    Even though I have a valid feed, and Bloglines even gave me a button to put on my site.

    Wow!

    But that's not all.

    I even typed in the "words that are listed on my Bloglines entry" to see if I showed up.

    Surprise.

    Mind you, there are rumors that my site's Atom feed is valid. So why doesn't Bloglines let me find my own blog?

    Oh, wait a minute. My feed only just got listed. On the 30th. Today, is the 1st. So that's the explanation.

    Wait a minute. That means its been at least 24 hours. So shouldn't I expect to have my feed to have been checked at least...well...24 times since them?

    Hmmm...let's go back to the original e-mail I got. That one I was supposed to confirm my validation. It's dated: 23 Nov 2004.


    Bloglines Loves Me


    Date: 23 Nov 2004 [removed]
    From: "Bloglines Validation" [removed]
    To: [removed]
    Subject: Bloglines Validation Email

    Hello,

    This message is to validate that the email address you registered with
    Bloglines, [removed] is correct.

    To validate your address, click on the following link:

    http://www.bloglines.com/val?key=[removed]

    If you have not registered with Bloglines, please ignore this message.

    Thanks,

    The Bloglines Team


    Great!

    When I pressed the code, I got, "Account Validation Complete.
    Your email address has been validated and your Bloglines membership has been confirmed."

    Wait a minute. Even if I haven't confirmed [which I have], this doesn't explain why my blog doesn't appear in the search; nor does it explain why there's the "30 November date", yet today is the 1st of December.

    In fact, the information says it has 16 listings for my blog.

    Clearly, Bloglines knows my site is alive, yet there's nothing in the search.

    Even if we go to the current feed, there's a little link you can hit that connects you here.

    So, Bloglines knows that others are linking to me, but Bloglines doesn't let me search for me. That makes sense.

    If you look at the member ID, you'll notice a section that says, " total subscriber ". I have one. How did he find me?

    Is Bloglines really different; or is it normal to:

  • Invite people to join a blogging-search community that doesn't allow them to search and find for their own blog, inter alia;

  • Confirm that a registration is complete, but still doesn't let one confirm the search works;

  • Provide a button so that others can add a feed that cannot be found;

  • Confirm an account is valid, but provide nothing to confirm a search; or

  • List a feed, but then provide no means to actually find the feed?

    Perhaps I'm missing something obvious. At first blush this is somewhat kind of like Seinfeld at the car rental place saying, "Oh, you take the reservation, you just don't keep it."

    Thanks Bloglines! I have a nice button, I'm listed, I just can't find myself.

    Have you seen me? I appear to have vanished. Again.
    " />