13 December 2004

Differentiating between feed management and RSSification of Calendars

"Feed management" isn't necessarily a term I invented. But I like the word. If I'm the only one using it, I'm first.

Anyway, I posted some information on "calendarizing feeds". It looks like my point got lost.

I wasn't trying to say that "we should use RSS to publish our calendars." I was saying, "It would be nice if we could prioritize our feeds on the basis of time."

This is another way of saying, "Wow, I have alot to do on a specific project, and I'd really like to have the things in my feeds [that appear first] to be related to my most important priorities.

And then let the other stuff fall by the wayside, or have lower priority.

I thought this would be a good strategy. If you think about "our every day things" like planning for holidays, or getting ready for upcoming things like Spring Break...I thought it would be useful to prioritize feeds based on "what is really important."

For example, in August [before school starts], we think about going back to school. So it doesn't make sense to have as the #1 item, "Things to do suring Spring Break."

Maybe you're someone who likes to put that at your #1. Great. But right now, the aggregators don't let people priortize their feeds based on milestones.

Here's the basic different between RSSification of Calendars and "Feed management".

Feed management identifies leadtimes to a partcular event, RSSification simply takes the calendar and makes a feed out of it.

Feed management means timing and prioritzing new feed-information based on our what is going on; while RSSification simply turns "what we're doing" into a feed for others to read.

"Feed management" isn't necessarily a term I invented. But I like the word. If I'm the only one using it, I'm first.

Anyway, I posted some information on "calendarizing feeds". It looks like my point got lost.

I wasn't trying to say that "we should use RSS to publish our calendars." I was saying, "It would be nice if we could prioritize our feeds on the basis of time."

This is another way of saying, "Wow, I have alot to do on a specific project, and I'd really like to have the things in my feeds [that appear first] to be related to my most important priorities.

And then let the other stuff fall by the wayside, or have lower priority.

I thought this would be a good strategy. If you think about "our every day things" like planning for holidays, or getting ready for upcoming things like Spring Break...I thought it would be useful to prioritize feeds based on "what is really important."

For example, in August [before school starts], we think about going back to school. So it doesn't make sense to have as the #1 item, "Things to do suring Spring Break."

Maybe you're someone who likes to put that at your #1. Great. But right now, the aggregators don't let people priortize their feeds based on milestones.

Here's the basic different between RSSification of Calendars and "Feed management".

Feed management identifies leadtimes to a partcular event, RSSification simply takes the calendar and makes a feed out of it.

Feed management means timing and prioritzing new feed-information based on our what is going on; while RSSification simply turns "what we're doing" into a feed for others to read.

" />