28 December 2004

Search, Technorati -- How developer assumptions may not match what users necessarily do

This one was interesting. The way they assumed the model would most effectively work didn't match what the end-users were actually doing.

They tweaked things [emphasis added]:

Technorati now realise that they cannot assume a blog homepage will have the full text of a blog's entries, so they have corrected their parser. In fact, as I pointed out to them in a follow-up email, many of the Web Design blog community have only excerpts on their homepages (that's where I got the idea from). And a number of those folks also have excerpted RSS feeds, so Technorati may still need to adjust their code to account for people who have excerpted homepages and RSS feeds. Ref
Kind of like the spoon and leaf issue.

This one was interesting. The way they assumed the model would most effectively work didn't match what the end-users were actually doing.

They tweaked things [emphasis added]:

Technorati now realise that they cannot assume a blog homepage will have the full text of a blog's entries, so they have corrected their parser. In fact, as I pointed out to them in a follow-up email, many of the Web Design blog community have only excerpts on their homepages (that's where I got the idea from). And a number of those folks also have excerpted RSS feeds, so Technorati may still need to adjust their code to account for people who have excerpted homepages and RSS feeds. Ref
Kind of like the spoon and leaf issue.

" />