18 December 2004

They say they're listening, but I don't believe it

LazyWeb Request

Ref Ref These are the RSS-related things that I would like someone to solve: Show me where the solutions are, who's working it, and when they're going to make their products more visible for the end-user.

The list

This is a list of ideas. To the right, you'll see some of the "popular posts" which outline some of the more blog entries related to innovation, user-end commentary, and suggestions for improvement.

I might direct you to the "what this blog is about" for a focused look at the specific recommendations for the RSS platform. In there you'll find various comments on the RSS system, the architecture, and the components of the XML-RSS pipeline. Ref

Highlights of what I'd like to see in the RSS community:

1. A clean story on why there is so much emphasis on a "valid" feed, despite aggregators being able to work with "invalid feeds." Yahoo can take an "invalid" feed. From the customer's perspective, anything that the aggregator can read and deliver to eyeballs [regardless syntax rules] is valid. Ref

2. Cross-aggregator searching. Currently, each aggregator is an isolated pod. I'd like to see something that crosses all aggregators with a simple search. One search, all aggregators. I'd like the aggregators to be able to issue their "massive list of feeds" as a single chunk to the search engine, that the aggregators get consideration in return.

I want to have a java-like image of the feeds as we can see in NetNewsIsFree. A single picture of the feeds.

3. XML Pipeline status I want to know with a single image what is going on with the various components of the RSS pipeline. I want to be able to see which aggregators, validators, syndication centers, and bloghosts are up, down, having problems, or reporting errors. Ref

I want this real time. I'd like to have this status fed in from each component and all feed-related personnel have the ability to see the single pipeline status: From my blog, through the validators, aggregators, along the internet-pipeline, into the pingers, and then finally appearing to the reader's eyeballs. More

4. One-feed-submission. Right now, I can go to a list, find 100+ sites to submit a URL. And I'm off to the races. This is a waste of time as it takes 16 hours to carefully document all feed-return messages. I'd like to be able to submit my feed-URL once, and have a system that automatically syndicates that URL to all the aggregators; and the aggregators automatically-seamlessly incorporate this information.

5. A method to better integrate feeds. I'm not talking about "mixing feeds" into an aggregator. Rather, I'm talking about having a platform that permits the user to actively integrate and mix blog-entries. I can then take a blog-entry from Feed 1, put it right next to another news item from feed 2 [a different search], and create a new pattern.

I want the integrator [not the aggregator] function to find new patterns within my combined feeds. I do not want to prompt the computer or feeds to integrate; rather, I want to look at the outputs and make decisions. Let me organize based on integrated feeds, and don't make me click on each feed separately like a list of bookmarks. Ref Ref Ref

6. Feeds linked with personal milestones. This is not the same as RSSification of calendars. Rather, when I say "Feed management" I'm talking about allowing my aggregator to automatically adjust feed-searches and delivery-priorities based on my personal tasks I've loaded into program management software. This is analogous to change "what appears first" in my "feed display page" not based on the provider-input, but on my needs as a function of personal objectives, tasks, milestones, activities, and upcoming events.

In January, I want at the top of the list Spring stuff not Winter-stuff; when I'm getting ready for holiday cooking, I want to have at the top of my list "turkeys" not "current news." I want the aggregators to take my schedule and do this automatically; I want to aggregator to read my schedule and create the priorities for me that I can, if I want, adjust. Ref Ref

7. Feeds linked with tasks. I'd like to have a task listed from 0 to 100%. At the bottom of my tasks, I'd like to have check-boxes so that I can choose "which sub-tasks" I'd like to do to go from 0 to 100% completion. Based on what I choose from that template, I'd like to have feeds stacked up based on criteria I choose: Relevancy, content, relationship to milestone, etc. I'd like to have these templates to be uniform like MSFT's "make newsletter" templates. You make it, I adjust it.

8. Feed publishing tools. I'd like to see a blogging system that works like powerpoint in that it provides miniature blog-entries that I can flow along my feed. The system would permit me, as the producer, to change the order of blog entries, get a big-picture perspective of my blog-entries, and let me time my blogs along my feed. All this before publishing. This will allow an integrated-theme to my blog entries.

I want a black-board view of my planned blog entries. I want to be able to have multiple blogs in the pipeline in development. And I want to have the option to auto-publish blogs so that my feed-readers can have time between blog-entries to digest my information. Ref

9. Feed translation. I want an auto-translation between foreign language feeds and my native languuage; Ref and I want my searches to auto-matically get translated into foreing languages. Ref

10. Link incorporation. A system in the feed publishing system that permits me to back-link to blog entries I have not published. Right now, in order to get a valid URL to link in my feed, I have to have an 'already published blog' to include that link. This doesn't help me if I have multiple blogs in a package of information I want to provide as a unit, but I haven't yet published the last of the blog entries in that package, yet the first-blog entry requires a link to that last-to-be-published system.

I want to be able to publish new blogs that list URLs for blogs that have not been published, and know with confidence those "guessed" URLs are going to be valid not only in my blog, but in the feed. If that is not possible, then create a system that seamlessly lets me, as the user, override previous feed-entries in the aggregators and replace the most current feed with that which is outdated and has less valid links.

11. Backwards-searching in auto-searches. Right now, in pubsub if I create a new search, it simply "starts the search now" and doesn't go back in time; I can type in a popular term like "RSS" and get no hits. I'd like to have the option to define "time windows" so that I can focus my search either prior to the search-start date, or whenever.

12. Feed stacking. This is how google does it's work. It takes all the information. And the common-similar news items are not duplicated. Rather they are stacked. I'd like to see a pre-set-layout page like Google has on my aggregators. I do not like the thought of "reviewing all my links in my aggregator" in order to see the feeds. This means it's no better than a list of bookmarks.

13. RSS feed screening criteria. I'd like to see some scholarly research on those RSS feeds that are examples of "high value" vs "low value". This would permit the outside users to have some credible metrics to baseline their content to know how they're stacking up. Also, this would give some benchmarks for RSS-consumers to quickly evaluate RSS feeds for content, reliability, usefulness, relevancy, and validity. If the "real answer" is to use the HTML-related metrics, then let's admit: HTML is not dead, but relevant.

14. Developer feedback. I'd like the various aggregators and other components in the RSS-XML pipeline to provide some specific examples of blog-entries that were useful; and a demonstration of a specific blog-entry translated into an actionable item, and an end-result we can see today. As it stands, I hear this "we take inputs," but I'd like to see something specific so that I can tailor my inputs to be more useful. As it stands, I'm spitting in the wind and do not know which way to adjust my writing, focus.

15. Developer actions. I'd like a big-picture of where this RSS-XML stuff is going. Apparently there are many development efforts working on inputs. Brilliant. At this juncture, I have no concept of how my inputs are or are not fitting in "where things are going." I'm not asking for proprietary information; rather a general sense of where things are going so that I don't duplicate other comments; and at the same time provide something that is challenging and useful.

I want to see where XML-RSS feed development is going with a single image and know how my suggestion fits in with the overall momentum.

Summary

Ref Ref Ref You didn't find this; I found you. That's the problem with the blog-net-RSS-XML platform as it stands. You can't listen unless you have access.

There's no reason you should have had to wait this long [since November] when I started documenting my end-user reaction and thoughts.
LazyWeb Request

Ref Ref These are the RSS-related things that I would like someone to solve: Show me where the solutions are, who's working it, and when they're going to make their products more visible for the end-user.

The list

This is a list of ideas. To the right, you'll see some of the "popular posts" which outline some of the more blog entries related to innovation, user-end commentary, and suggestions for improvement.

I might direct you to the "what this blog is about" for a focused look at the specific recommendations for the RSS platform. In there you'll find various comments on the RSS system, the architecture, and the components of the XML-RSS pipeline. Ref

Highlights of what I'd like to see in the RSS community:

1. A clean story on why there is so much emphasis on a "valid" feed, despite aggregators being able to work with "invalid feeds." Yahoo can take an "invalid" feed. From the customer's perspective, anything that the aggregator can read and deliver to eyeballs [regardless syntax rules] is valid. Ref

2. Cross-aggregator searching. Currently, each aggregator is an isolated pod. I'd like to see something that crosses all aggregators with a simple search. One search, all aggregators. I'd like the aggregators to be able to issue their "massive list of feeds" as a single chunk to the search engine, that the aggregators get consideration in return.

I want to have a java-like image of the feeds as we can see in NetNewsIsFree. A single picture of the feeds.

3. XML Pipeline status I want to know with a single image what is going on with the various components of the RSS pipeline. I want to be able to see which aggregators, validators, syndication centers, and bloghosts are up, down, having problems, or reporting errors. Ref

I want this real time. I'd like to have this status fed in from each component and all feed-related personnel have the ability to see the single pipeline status: From my blog, through the validators, aggregators, along the internet-pipeline, into the pingers, and then finally appearing to the reader's eyeballs. More

4. One-feed-submission. Right now, I can go to a list, find 100+ sites to submit a URL. And I'm off to the races. This is a waste of time as it takes 16 hours to carefully document all feed-return messages. I'd like to be able to submit my feed-URL once, and have a system that automatically syndicates that URL to all the aggregators; and the aggregators automatically-seamlessly incorporate this information.

5. A method to better integrate feeds. I'm not talking about "mixing feeds" into an aggregator. Rather, I'm talking about having a platform that permits the user to actively integrate and mix blog-entries. I can then take a blog-entry from Feed 1, put it right next to another news item from feed 2 [a different search], and create a new pattern.

I want the integrator [not the aggregator] function to find new patterns within my combined feeds. I do not want to prompt the computer or feeds to integrate; rather, I want to look at the outputs and make decisions. Let me organize based on integrated feeds, and don't make me click on each feed separately like a list of bookmarks. Ref Ref Ref

6. Feeds linked with personal milestones. This is not the same as RSSification of calendars. Rather, when I say "Feed management" I'm talking about allowing my aggregator to automatically adjust feed-searches and delivery-priorities based on my personal tasks I've loaded into program management software. This is analogous to change "what appears first" in my "feed display page" not based on the provider-input, but on my needs as a function of personal objectives, tasks, milestones, activities, and upcoming events.

In January, I want at the top of the list Spring stuff not Winter-stuff; when I'm getting ready for holiday cooking, I want to have at the top of my list "turkeys" not "current news." I want the aggregators to take my schedule and do this automatically; I want to aggregator to read my schedule and create the priorities for me that I can, if I want, adjust. Ref Ref

7. Feeds linked with tasks. I'd like to have a task listed from 0 to 100%. At the bottom of my tasks, I'd like to have check-boxes so that I can choose "which sub-tasks" I'd like to do to go from 0 to 100% completion. Based on what I choose from that template, I'd like to have feeds stacked up based on criteria I choose: Relevancy, content, relationship to milestone, etc. I'd like to have these templates to be uniform like MSFT's "make newsletter" templates. You make it, I adjust it.

8. Feed publishing tools. I'd like to see a blogging system that works like powerpoint in that it provides miniature blog-entries that I can flow along my feed. The system would permit me, as the producer, to change the order of blog entries, get a big-picture perspective of my blog-entries, and let me time my blogs along my feed. All this before publishing. This will allow an integrated-theme to my blog entries.

I want a black-board view of my planned blog entries. I want to be able to have multiple blogs in the pipeline in development. And I want to have the option to auto-publish blogs so that my feed-readers can have time between blog-entries to digest my information. Ref

9. Feed translation. I want an auto-translation between foreign language feeds and my native languuage; Ref and I want my searches to auto-matically get translated into foreing languages. Ref

10. Link incorporation. A system in the feed publishing system that permits me to back-link to blog entries I have not published. Right now, in order to get a valid URL to link in my feed, I have to have an 'already published blog' to include that link. This doesn't help me if I have multiple blogs in a package of information I want to provide as a unit, but I haven't yet published the last of the blog entries in that package, yet the first-blog entry requires a link to that last-to-be-published system.

I want to be able to publish new blogs that list URLs for blogs that have not been published, and know with confidence those "guessed" URLs are going to be valid not only in my blog, but in the feed. If that is not possible, then create a system that seamlessly lets me, as the user, override previous feed-entries in the aggregators and replace the most current feed with that which is outdated and has less valid links.

11. Backwards-searching in auto-searches. Right now, in pubsub if I create a new search, it simply "starts the search now" and doesn't go back in time; I can type in a popular term like "RSS" and get no hits. I'd like to have the option to define "time windows" so that I can focus my search either prior to the search-start date, or whenever.

12. Feed stacking. This is how google does it's work. It takes all the information. And the common-similar news items are not duplicated. Rather they are stacked. I'd like to see a pre-set-layout page like Google has on my aggregators. I do not like the thought of "reviewing all my links in my aggregator" in order to see the feeds. This means it's no better than a list of bookmarks.

13. RSS feed screening criteria. I'd like to see some scholarly research on those RSS feeds that are examples of "high value" vs "low value". This would permit the outside users to have some credible metrics to baseline their content to know how they're stacking up. Also, this would give some benchmarks for RSS-consumers to quickly evaluate RSS feeds for content, reliability, usefulness, relevancy, and validity. If the "real answer" is to use the HTML-related metrics, then let's admit: HTML is not dead, but relevant.

14. Developer feedback. I'd like the various aggregators and other components in the RSS-XML pipeline to provide some specific examples of blog-entries that were useful; and a demonstration of a specific blog-entry translated into an actionable item, and an end-result we can see today. As it stands, I hear this "we take inputs," but I'd like to see something specific so that I can tailor my inputs to be more useful. As it stands, I'm spitting in the wind and do not know which way to adjust my writing, focus.

15. Developer actions. I'd like a big-picture of where this RSS-XML stuff is going. Apparently there are many development efforts working on inputs. Brilliant. At this juncture, I have no concept of how my inputs are or are not fitting in "where things are going." I'm not asking for proprietary information; rather a general sense of where things are going so that I don't duplicate other comments; and at the same time provide something that is challenging and useful.

I want to see where XML-RSS feed development is going with a single image and know how my suggestion fits in with the overall momentum.

Summary

Ref Ref Ref You didn't find this; I found you. That's the problem with the blog-net-RSS-XML platform as it stands. You can't listen unless you have access.

There's no reason you should have had to wait this long [since November] when I started documenting my end-user reaction and thoughts.
" />