05 January 2005

One-step submission: Is there a difference between submitting a feed and pinging a feed?

Upshot:

It would be nice if there was a way to have a single-site that allowed the end-user to enter their feed once, so that all the other sites got notification that the Feed Exists.

The long voyage

Ever seen a list to submit your feed? That's alot of sites to submit to. It takes time. Alot of time. There are actually over 100 on the list.

Long ago, when I first set-up this blog, I submitted the feed to a few places. On the assumption that someone could read the feed. That was step 1.

The next step was to blog and then ping the sites using Ping-O-Matic. That was step 2.

In my mind, pinging a site and submitting a new site are not the same.



Single Feed Submissions


The Goal

For the end-user to only have to submit their XML feed once, to a single site, and then have that site submit the feed to the rest of the sites. Nothing to do with updates or pinging, but the initial notification of "this is a feed."

  • The list

    I see nothing that has one-stop initial submissions: A single submission for all items on this list. RobinGood is about submitting the initial feed. Not the same as pinging with updates.

  • PingOMatic

    Ping-0-Matic is for updates.

  • FeedMesh

    FeedMesh hopes to have one-stop pings.

    Summary


    I see a difference between "a single feed update" with FeedMesh and Ping-O-Matic. My idea is to have a single site to submit a feed once, and then have that site forward the XML-feed to the items on the list.

    From what I see, FeedMesh and Ping-O-Matic do not do this. What I wish existed does not appear to have anything to do with Ping-O-Matic.


  • It looks as though what I hope is created actually gets created. Great.

    So, here I am thinking, "Wouldn't it be nice to have had one place to submit my site" during Step 1? You know, instead of spending countless hours submitting the feed to the sites, why not have one place.

    Sounds simple.

    Small problem. Seems as though when I said, "Submit in one place," people thinking, "We already do that" with Ping-O-Matic and Feedmesh.

    Perhaps. Maybe it will happen. But I'm sitting here thinking, maybe we're not being clear. I'm sure if I'm really off base someone might say something. Although I'm not holding my breath.

    So, what am I saying? My thought, at this point, is that when I say, "Submit to one place" the Feedmesh solution isn't really what I'm talking about. From what I can understand, Feedmesh is about pinging-all-in-one.

    Then again, maybe I'm not understanding something.

    Let's go through the details. A few weeks ago I raised a question about FeedMesh, to which I got the following nice response from Bob Wyman:


    FeedMesh


    The idea behind FeedMesh is to allow the various feed monitoring or search engines to share information about new and updated blogs. Rather then forcing each individual blog to "ping" multiple ping servers, the idea is that if you ping any of the FeedMesh nodes, all other members of the FeedMesh would receive your ping. This will make pinging much easier and effective for feed owners and for sites that seek pings as well.

    bob wyamn


    Clearly, FeedMesh is about updating blogs and pings. And it is also about new blogs.

    FeedMesh, according to Bob has something to do with initial submissions of XML feeds to the various hosts, or my "Step 1."

    The other attempt I made to clarify the situation, or make my comment and idea known was the infamous "list of 15" ideas.

    Indeed, Bob Wyman was kind enough to provide a response in re my "One-Feed-Submission" idea:


    Response


    >4. One-feed-submission
    I suggest that you check out the "FeedMesh" group on Yahoo! to see what we're working on to give you the ability to ping a single site yet have all sites discover the ping. See:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feedmesh/

    bob wyman


    To be clear, at this juncture I remain confidence that "my idea" of a single XML-feed submission to many sites is different than the "one-ping" concept of FeedMesh.

    What do we do?

    I have only one option: To continue my quest for a single XML-feed option so that the end-user, rather than submitting their feed several times to many sites, only has to submit their XML-feed once.

    Again, to be clear, I am not talking about updating the blog of XML feed, as Bob and FeedMesh hope to accomplish. Rather, my goal is to save time, permit the end-user to take an entire list of sites, and notify these sites that "This blog is active" only once.

    This is not to say that I want to have a "single notification of the sites that connect to the blog or list the feed." Rather, I'm saying that it would be nice to be able to go to a single site, submit my feed once, and then have that site automatically notify the full list that "this is a new blog."

    Based on what Bob Wyman said in re the "new" blogs, I am assuming that FeedMesh will, ultimately, allow me to submit my XML-feed only once, and then the service will take the list and do everything automatically.

    Let us hope this is true. It will save time. It will be good. And it will make it really easy to let others read your blog.

    So, which is it? Has something changed in the Jeff Barr mission statement for FeedMesh in that the site focuses on something more than Pings, and takes new site-feeds as Bob Wyman said...

    Or...am I correct is concluding, based on Jeff Barr's comment, that FeedMesh will not allow me to submit a new feed for a new blog, and that "my idea" of having a single-site to singly-submit a new XML-feed does not exist, and FeedMesh is something entirely different?

    Bluntly, I see nothing in Ben Hyde's statement that refers to new blog submission. I only see pings, updates with existing feeds.

    In short, I'm left with the feeling that the "would it not be nice to have a site where someone can submit their feed once to" has nothing to do with what FeedMesh is actually doing.

    Comments?
    Upshot:

    It would be nice if there was a way to have a single-site that allowed the end-user to enter their feed once, so that all the other sites got notification that the Feed Exists.

    The long voyage

    Ever seen a list to submit your feed? That's alot of sites to submit to. It takes time. Alot of time. There are actually over 100 on the list.

    Long ago, when I first set-up this blog, I submitted the feed to a few places. On the assumption that someone could read the feed. That was step 1.

    The next step was to blog and then ping the sites using Ping-O-Matic. That was step 2.

    In my mind, pinging a site and submitting a new site are not the same.



    Single Feed Submissions


    The Goal

    For the end-user to only have to submit their XML feed once, to a single site, and then have that site submit the feed to the rest of the sites. Nothing to do with updates or pinging, but the initial notification of "this is a feed."

  • The list

    I see nothing that has one-stop initial submissions: A single submission for all items on this list. RobinGood is about submitting the initial feed. Not the same as pinging with updates.

  • PingOMatic

    Ping-0-Matic is for updates.

  • FeedMesh

    FeedMesh hopes to have one-stop pings.

    Summary


    I see a difference between "a single feed update" with FeedMesh and Ping-O-Matic. My idea is to have a single site to submit a feed once, and then have that site forward the XML-feed to the items on the list.

    From what I see, FeedMesh and Ping-O-Matic do not do this. What I wish existed does not appear to have anything to do with Ping-O-Matic.


  • It looks as though what I hope is created actually gets created. Great.

    So, here I am thinking, "Wouldn't it be nice to have had one place to submit my site" during Step 1? You know, instead of spending countless hours submitting the feed to the sites, why not have one place.

    Sounds simple.

    Small problem. Seems as though when I said, "Submit in one place," people thinking, "We already do that" with Ping-O-Matic and Feedmesh.

    Perhaps. Maybe it will happen. But I'm sitting here thinking, maybe we're not being clear. I'm sure if I'm really off base someone might say something. Although I'm not holding my breath.

    So, what am I saying? My thought, at this point, is that when I say, "Submit to one place" the Feedmesh solution isn't really what I'm talking about. From what I can understand, Feedmesh is about pinging-all-in-one.

    Then again, maybe I'm not understanding something.

    Let's go through the details. A few weeks ago I raised a question about FeedMesh, to which I got the following nice response from Bob Wyman:


    FeedMesh


    The idea behind FeedMesh is to allow the various feed monitoring or search engines to share information about new and updated blogs. Rather then forcing each individual blog to "ping" multiple ping servers, the idea is that if you ping any of the FeedMesh nodes, all other members of the FeedMesh would receive your ping. This will make pinging much easier and effective for feed owners and for sites that seek pings as well.

    bob wyamn


    Clearly, FeedMesh is about updating blogs and pings. And it is also about new blogs.

    FeedMesh, according to Bob has something to do with initial submissions of XML feeds to the various hosts, or my "Step 1."

    The other attempt I made to clarify the situation, or make my comment and idea known was the infamous "list of 15" ideas.

    Indeed, Bob Wyman was kind enough to provide a response in re my "One-Feed-Submission" idea:


    Response


    >4. One-feed-submission
    I suggest that you check out the "FeedMesh" group on Yahoo! to see what we're working on to give you the ability to ping a single site yet have all sites discover the ping. See:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/feedmesh/

    bob wyman


    To be clear, at this juncture I remain confidence that "my idea" of a single XML-feed submission to many sites is different than the "one-ping" concept of FeedMesh.

    What do we do?

    I have only one option: To continue my quest for a single XML-feed option so that the end-user, rather than submitting their feed several times to many sites, only has to submit their XML-feed once.

    Again, to be clear, I am not talking about updating the blog of XML feed, as Bob and FeedMesh hope to accomplish. Rather, my goal is to save time, permit the end-user to take an entire list of sites, and notify these sites that "This blog is active" only once.

    This is not to say that I want to have a "single notification of the sites that connect to the blog or list the feed." Rather, I'm saying that it would be nice to be able to go to a single site, submit my feed once, and then have that site automatically notify the full list that "this is a new blog."

    Based on what Bob Wyman said in re the "new" blogs, I am assuming that FeedMesh will, ultimately, allow me to submit my XML-feed only once, and then the service will take the list and do everything automatically.

    Let us hope this is true. It will save time. It will be good. And it will make it really easy to let others read your blog.

    So, which is it? Has something changed in the Jeff Barr mission statement for FeedMesh in that the site focuses on something more than Pings, and takes new site-feeds as Bob Wyman said...

    Or...am I correct is concluding, based on Jeff Barr's comment, that FeedMesh will not allow me to submit a new feed for a new blog, and that "my idea" of having a single-site to singly-submit a new XML-feed does not exist, and FeedMesh is something entirely different?

    Bluntly, I see nothing in Ben Hyde's statement that refers to new blog submission. I only see pings, updates with existing feeds.

    In short, I'm left with the feeling that the "would it not be nice to have a site where someone can submit their feed once to" has nothing to do with what FeedMesh is actually doing.

    Comments?
    " />