05 January 2005

Search, MyStack by PubSub, 5-Jan-05 UTC 01:51:41

Error

Unable to get stack-ID code.

The long voyage

DailyNonsenses had an interesting thing: "My Stack."

I had once thought this was one of those "high tech coding things" that only non-GoogleBloggers had access to. I had previously seen it on Bob Wyman's blog and thought, "Wow, pretty neat way of piling up information to read."

At the time, I thought it was a way of transferring blog-comments into a central area, and allowed Bob's Site to register the links and publications related to those bloggers who had provided comments. [Maybe this could be a new idea for something...]

Anyway...so all this time I thought that "My Stack" was something that was "not for me."

Then, I come across DailyNonsenses, and notice the link at the bottom to My Stack.

Woah! I can add this to my own site. Excellent.

Small problem. I've worked with it for over the past week, and I'm not getting it to work.

Specifically, even though I'm registered and have loaded up my "requested stacks", I'm getting nothing back in terms of code.

However, I do not get any of these error messages:

  • Title is a required field
  • Email Address is a required field
  • You must specify something to search for.
  • ... which tells me that the machine is taking the information, but it is not doing anything with it.

    In short, I get no "clean links" that tell me where to go to get the updated code. From my perspective, it looks like the code is only the RSS-related code that is shown as an example.

    So, I went through the entire process again, resubmitted the information, and still the links were not valid, got no new code. So, as a test, I attempted to jerry-rig the links and back-into "what should be there" if the links were valid, but somehow they were in error.

    Again, I got the same result: The code for the "RSS demo Stack." Still not satisfied, I copied this code, placed it into my blogger-template, and sure enough, even though I had submitted a new stack-request, I still got the "Demo RSS feed", which showed up.

    I am submitting a valid e-mail address in the message because I got a confirmation message. I get the same results with both LinkStack and TopicStack.

    After completely entering the field, I press return at the links and it freezes. I get no confirmation message, no code back. The only thing that happens is the "Search for" line clears out.

    The one thing I do notice is that the apostrophe-s changes to a backslash, then apostrphe. May not seem like a big deal, but I've seen this happen before. And the word they mentioned was "parsing." Apparently, the computer recognizes the backslash as the apostrophe, and saves it incorrectly.

    The instructions say all you have to do is copy the code sent to you. Well, I don't get an e-mail, and no new window showing the code to copy.

    Cut the small HTML fragment returned to you and paste it into your web page.
    Also, I re-attempted to have my feeds sent to me via e-mail. I got nothing. And then I resubmitted the requests again, and got a lovely message:



    The message

    Here's a list of the stacks registered to your email address.
    Use the links provided to get the HTML code for each stack, or to use the online configuration page.

    [There was no hidden code in this empty space, nor any links in the e-mail]

    Remember that if you don't access a stack at least once every 14 days, we will delete it.
    Of course, you can always come back and create it again.

    Thanks for using MyStack.com!


    Small problem. There was nothing in the list. It was blank. Zero.

    So, I have no clue what is going on with MyStack. Apparently everyone and their mother uses it, and "this is how" some new blogger found me.

  • I am unable to duplicate the search using my stack

  • I cannot get a list of "my stacks" in the error message

  • I cannot find the code to copy

  • And when I generate a new stack request, I get a "good to go message," but not link to the real-code or link required to place this on my blog.


  • Bottom line:

    I need stack Id's for my newly created code. It would be nice if it appeared in the e-mail listing, which it doesn't. I've even gone over the e-mail in "view source" to see if there is a hidden code like they do in feedster [when you claim your blog], but it's not there.

    Questions

  • How was everyone else able to do this?

  • How could so many errors occur, but others have "their stack" listed?

  • Why am I getting an e-mail sent back to me with "no information"?

  • Why am I getting all indications that "the system is taking my information," but I'm getting nothing back to say there is an error; nor do I get a message or alternative to actually get the stack-ID?
  • Error

    Unable to get stack-ID code.

    The long voyage

    DailyNonsenses had an interesting thing: "My Stack."

    I had once thought this was one of those "high tech coding things" that only non-GoogleBloggers had access to. I had previously seen it on Bob Wyman's blog and thought, "Wow, pretty neat way of piling up information to read."

    At the time, I thought it was a way of transferring blog-comments into a central area, and allowed Bob's Site to register the links and publications related to those bloggers who had provided comments. [Maybe this could be a new idea for something...]

    Anyway...so all this time I thought that "My Stack" was something that was "not for me."

    Then, I come across DailyNonsenses, and notice the link at the bottom to My Stack.

    Woah! I can add this to my own site. Excellent.

    Small problem. I've worked with it for over the past week, and I'm not getting it to work.

    Specifically, even though I'm registered and have loaded up my "requested stacks", I'm getting nothing back in terms of code.

    However, I do not get any of these error messages:

  • Title is a required field
  • Email Address is a required field
  • You must specify something to search for.
  • ... which tells me that the machine is taking the information, but it is not doing anything with it.

    In short, I get no "clean links" that tell me where to go to get the updated code. From my perspective, it looks like the code is only the RSS-related code that is shown as an example.

    So, I went through the entire process again, resubmitted the information, and still the links were not valid, got no new code. So, as a test, I attempted to jerry-rig the links and back-into "what should be there" if the links were valid, but somehow they were in error.

    Again, I got the same result: The code for the "RSS demo Stack." Still not satisfied, I copied this code, placed it into my blogger-template, and sure enough, even though I had submitted a new stack-request, I still got the "Demo RSS feed", which showed up.

    I am submitting a valid e-mail address in the message because I got a confirmation message. I get the same results with both LinkStack and TopicStack.

    After completely entering the field, I press return at the links and it freezes. I get no confirmation message, no code back. The only thing that happens is the "Search for" line clears out.

    The one thing I do notice is that the apostrophe-s changes to a backslash, then apostrphe. May not seem like a big deal, but I've seen this happen before. And the word they mentioned was "parsing." Apparently, the computer recognizes the backslash as the apostrophe, and saves it incorrectly.

    The instructions say all you have to do is copy the code sent to you. Well, I don't get an e-mail, and no new window showing the code to copy.

    Cut the small HTML fragment returned to you and paste it into your web page.
    Also, I re-attempted to have my feeds sent to me via e-mail. I got nothing. And then I resubmitted the requests again, and got a lovely message:



    The message

    Here's a list of the stacks registered to your email address.
    Use the links provided to get the HTML code for each stack, or to use the online configuration page.

    [There was no hidden code in this empty space, nor any links in the e-mail]

    Remember that if you don't access a stack at least once every 14 days, we will delete it.
    Of course, you can always come back and create it again.

    Thanks for using MyStack.com!


    Small problem. There was nothing in the list. It was blank. Zero.

    So, I have no clue what is going on with MyStack. Apparently everyone and their mother uses it, and "this is how" some new blogger found me.

  • I am unable to duplicate the search using my stack

  • I cannot get a list of "my stacks" in the error message

  • I cannot find the code to copy

  • And when I generate a new stack request, I get a "good to go message," but not link to the real-code or link required to place this on my blog.


  • Bottom line:

    I need stack Id's for my newly created code. It would be nice if it appeared in the e-mail listing, which it doesn't. I've even gone over the e-mail in "view source" to see if there is a hidden code like they do in feedster [when you claim your blog], but it's not there.

    Questions

  • How was everyone else able to do this?

  • How could so many errors occur, but others have "their stack" listed?

  • Why am I getting an e-mail sent back to me with "no information"?

  • Why am I getting all indications that "the system is taking my information," but I'm getting nothing back to say there is an error; nor do I get a message or alternative to actually get the stack-ID?
    " />