20 January 2005

XML Premium: Provide more on XML feed than available elsewhere

Why doesn't XML catch on? Because the content is free. And there's no "extra" stuff that the "regular people" can't get elsewhere.

If I want to read something, I can go to a blog. If it's garbage content, I can move on.

But if there was another way of doing things, things might change.

How many feeds have you read that provide content that you can't get anywhere else? I'm not talking content that is better than another content provider.

I'm talking about making sure the feed does something extra than the basic-access.

Extra features and content above and beyond what is publicly available:

  • Better formatting

  • New tools and HTML-options not available for a "regular platform"

    The trick isn't to XML-ize the web; but to make XML classier content and standards that do the web better.

    Better formatting. Better style. Better quality. More gadgets, streamlined.

  • Why doesn't XML catch on? Because the content is free. And there's no "extra" stuff that the "regular people" can't get elsewhere.

    If I want to read something, I can go to a blog. If it's garbage content, I can move on.

    But if there was another way of doing things, things might change.

    How many feeds have you read that provide content that you can't get anywhere else? I'm not talking content that is better than another content provider.

    I'm talking about making sure the feed does something extra than the basic-access.

    Extra features and content above and beyond what is publicly available:

  • Better formatting

  • New tools and HTML-options not available for a "regular platform"

    The trick isn't to XML-ize the web; but to make XML classier content and standards that do the web better.

    Better formatting. Better style. Better quality. More gadgets, streamlined.

    " />