28 February 2005

Having trouble finding your tags in Technorati? Try Blogdigger

Looking for a way to find your tag, and Technorati isn't working, or the content isn't showing up?

You're not alone.

I've been doing some testing of the Technorati tags. Although the tags have been pinging OK, they have not reporting in the Technorati search tool or to the Technorati search group.

Sometimes the tags do not report at all. Even though I published my content, and was using a valid tag, Technorati wasn't able to find the content. At worst, when I was using a valid tag, the tag wasn't show-up in the tag-group.

This wasn't just the XML feed. It was also on the main platform.

I even tired a Technorati Watchlist for that particular tag. When I go back to the watchlist for that tag I created in Technorati member tools, nothing shows up. Either in the member list, or in the aggregator.

Fortunately, I found a back-up system.

The site that found all the target search strings and tags without any problems? BlogDigger.

User tips

Proper quotations. If you're doing a search in BlogDigger, make sure that your tag is fully enclosed in quotes. If you use single quotes in a multi-word-tag, you'll not get the same result.

See if things get removed. If you decide to use another platform, you may find that even though you've entered double-quotes, the platform will strip out the quotes. At worst it may replace your quotes with backslashes.

Also, if you have a space after your tag, and then place the quote, you'll not get the same result.
"XML Tag" is not the same as "XML Tag " [note the space after Tag]
Check your outputs Make sure that your search engine is actually returning a valid-feed-result for a common-term, before you rely on it.

In my case, I collected 15 feeds from one search engine, only to realize there was no integration between the inputted search string, and the output. Also, a second platform was stripping out my search syntax, and giving me generic output.

Mud's Test

I tested 6 different search engines using 15 different feeds. Each tested-search platform returned the search results in a single XML feed.

This is not to be confused with a site like Syndic8 which creates a separate XML feed for each returned result. I only looked at search engines that offered all the search-result in a single XML feed.

Tips to do your own test

Compare aggregator to bookmarks If you want to compare the results yourself, I suggest that you get XML-feeds in both RSS and Atom format for BlogDigger; then get the Watchlist-RSS feed from Technorati. Save these three feeds to your private bookmarks. Then place the feeds into your aggregator.

If you have a problem with one of the feeds not reporting, you can go back and see if you made an error during entry.

In my case, I entered 15 feeds under each search engine in both bookmarks and the aggregator. I confirmed that my feed-searches were OK.

The only difference was the search engine.

Check your platform Also, before you use a search-engine that returns an XML-feed for that search string, there's one last hint. In my case, I though I came across a very nice search engine. It was working out very nicely. All the results were looking good.

I had all 15 search strings for that site loaded up, saved into both the bookmarks and the aggregator. Unfortunately, when it came time to submit my feed to the site for the tests, I couldn't read the language for the instructions on where to go.

The site was in one language, but the technical support was in a second, without any translation capability.

Happy Tag Prowling!

Added Later Here is where the test results could get used.


LEGAL NOTICE


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

You may not copy any of this work to promote a commercial product on any site or medium in the universe.

If you see this work posted on a commercial site, it violates the creative commons license; and the author does not endorse the commercial product.

Free to use for non-commercial uses. Link to this original blogspot and cite as .


Looking for a way to find your tag, and Technorati isn't working, or the content isn't showing up?

You're not alone.

I've been doing some testing of the Technorati tags. Although the tags have been pinging OK, they have not reporting in the Technorati search tool or to the Technorati search group.

Sometimes the tags do not report at all. Even though I published my content, and was using a valid tag, Technorati wasn't able to find the content. At worst, when I was using a valid tag, the tag wasn't show-up in the tag-group.

This wasn't just the XML feed. It was also on the main platform.

I even tired a Technorati Watchlist for that particular tag. When I go back to the watchlist for that tag I created in Technorati member tools, nothing shows up. Either in the member list, or in the aggregator.

Fortunately, I found a back-up system.

The site that found all the target search strings and tags without any problems? BlogDigger.

User tips

Proper quotations. If you're doing a search in BlogDigger, make sure that your tag is fully enclosed in quotes. If you use single quotes in a multi-word-tag, you'll not get the same result.

See if things get removed. If you decide to use another platform, you may find that even though you've entered double-quotes, the platform will strip out the quotes. At worst it may replace your quotes with backslashes.

Also, if you have a space after your tag, and then place the quote, you'll not get the same result.
"XML Tag" is not the same as "XML Tag " [note the space after Tag]
Check your outputs Make sure that your search engine is actually returning a valid-feed-result for a common-term, before you rely on it.

In my case, I collected 15 feeds from one search engine, only to realize there was no integration between the inputted search string, and the output. Also, a second platform was stripping out my search syntax, and giving me generic output.

Mud's Test

I tested 6 different search engines using 15 different feeds. Each tested-search platform returned the search results in a single XML feed.

This is not to be confused with a site like Syndic8 which creates a separate XML feed for each returned result. I only looked at search engines that offered all the search-result in a single XML feed.

Tips to do your own test

Compare aggregator to bookmarks If you want to compare the results yourself, I suggest that you get XML-feeds in both RSS and Atom format for BlogDigger; then get the Watchlist-RSS feed from Technorati. Save these three feeds to your private bookmarks. Then place the feeds into your aggregator.

If you have a problem with one of the feeds not reporting, you can go back and see if you made an error during entry.

In my case, I entered 15 feeds under each search engine in both bookmarks and the aggregator. I confirmed that my feed-searches were OK.

The only difference was the search engine.

Check your platform Also, before you use a search-engine that returns an XML-feed for that search string, there's one last hint. In my case, I though I came across a very nice search engine. It was working out very nicely. All the results were looking good.

I had all 15 search strings for that site loaded up, saved into both the bookmarks and the aggregator. Unfortunately, when it came time to submit my feed to the site for the tests, I couldn't read the language for the instructions on where to go.

The site was in one language, but the technical support was in a second, without any translation capability.

Happy Tag Prowling!

Added Later Here is where the test results could get used.


LEGAL NOTICE


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

You may not copy any of this work to promote a commercial product on any site or medium in the universe.

If you see this work posted on a commercial site, it violates the creative commons license; and the author does not endorse the commercial product.

Free to use for non-commercial uses. Link to this original blogspot and cite as .


" />