30 March 2005

Search, Technorati, 30-Mar-05 UTC 00:58:41

As promised, I planned to recheck the Technorati search platform. It's been about 4 weeks.

I found something really strange. I went to the search platform and typed in a very common term: "Attention.xml"

I immediately noticed something strange in the URL. Note that there's a "link rank" type comment.

http://www.technorati.com/cosmos/search.html?rank=&url=attention.xml


That's not what I wanted. Just simple returns.

The next sign of a problem was when Technorati just kept spinning without any result. Then, when I got the result, I was more surprised:



Baseline: Main Platform Results
Cosmos Search Results:
attention.xml
Make this a Watchlist
There are no posts that link to this URL yet. Please try again later or sign up for a watchlist to track conversation about this URL.


Uh, I wasn't asking for posts to the link, I just wanted to search.

Baseline testing done

So, normally at this point I'd start with my platform testing. That means: I would normally have baselined the search on what I know works,then move to what I'm trying to test.

In this case, I'm trying to test the favelet; but I can't get the main platform [the thing I wanted to use as my baseline] to work.

So, anyway, I'll just do another search with the favelet on the "attention.xml". Here is the result:


Real test objective: Favelet Test
Cosmos Search Results:
attention.xml
Make this a Watchlist

There are no posts that link to this URL yet. Please try again later or sign up for a watchlist to track conversation about this URL.


Interestingly, if we strip out the .xml at the end, there's no problem.

Well, I'm not sure if this is a bad sign: We get the same result, meaning that the problem isn't likely just with the favelet, but is a universal problem across all the searches. Perhaps the unique problem with the favelet is gone?

Conclusion

The favelet consistently reproduces the same search results from the mainplatform: Now both are in error.

Mud's Tests Calendar: Recheck Technorati mainsearch and favelet, May 2005.
As promised, I planned to recheck the Technorati search platform. It's been about 4 weeks.

I found something really strange. I went to the search platform and typed in a very common term: "Attention.xml"

I immediately noticed something strange in the URL. Note that there's a "link rank" type comment.

http://www.technorati.com/cosmos/search.html?rank=&url=attention.xml


That's not what I wanted. Just simple returns.

The next sign of a problem was when Technorati just kept spinning without any result. Then, when I got the result, I was more surprised:



Baseline: Main Platform Results
Cosmos Search Results:
attention.xml
Make this a Watchlist
There are no posts that link to this URL yet. Please try again later or sign up for a watchlist to track conversation about this URL.


Uh, I wasn't asking for posts to the link, I just wanted to search.

Baseline testing done

So, normally at this point I'd start with my platform testing. That means: I would normally have baselined the search on what I know works,then move to what I'm trying to test.

In this case, I'm trying to test the favelet; but I can't get the main platform [the thing I wanted to use as my baseline] to work.

So, anyway, I'll just do another search with the favelet on the "attention.xml". Here is the result:


Real test objective: Favelet Test
Cosmos Search Results:
attention.xml
Make this a Watchlist

There are no posts that link to this URL yet. Please try again later or sign up for a watchlist to track conversation about this URL.


Interestingly, if we strip out the .xml at the end, there's no problem.

Well, I'm not sure if this is a bad sign: We get the same result, meaning that the problem isn't likely just with the favelet, but is a universal problem across all the searches. Perhaps the unique problem with the favelet is gone?

Conclusion

The favelet consistently reproduces the same search results from the mainplatform: Now both are in error.

Mud's Tests Calendar: Recheck Technorati mainsearch and favelet, May 2005.
" />