22 March 2005

Stats Coach: A guide to give your readers more of what they want

I’ve noticed something about site stats. They’re just that. Stats, without much help.

How the site stats tools might be improved:

XML Stat Coach

Better guidance on how to use the data

Your user doesn’t care about stats. Your user wants information to make their site better:

  • What is working?

  • How can I get more of the good stuff exposed to more people?

    Make a list of typical problems or things users are trying to do, and walk them through the various features you have to show them how your stats-site will help them.

    The users want to know:

  • What’s working, and why is that working;

  • What types of content my users are typically asking for;

  • What I really want to know is:
    the nature of the reader,
    the types of problems the reader typically has, and
    why this specific information was working for them


  • Include guides on how to use the information. Your guide needs to show how your site will answer these questions.

    For example, I need to know why I am changing content. If my content is poor and the site stats are low, I need to know what changes will likely increase interest.

    Either I need to change my content into something that matches what most readers want; or I need to create a strategy to find the readers that are interested in what I make.

    Right now, the stats tools don’t help me on this. They don’t really help the user with a strategy of how to apply this information:
  • How can I find more readers who like the particular type of content that I have on this page: and
  • How can I transform this content into something that will attract more readers?

  • Sure, I can go to Google and look for similar pages. But that’s outside the site stats. And it’s also a problem when Google hasn’t indexed my page.

    What’s worse is when I have a lot of hits on a page that is apparently very interesting, but nobody is actually linking to it – so the page never gets hit with a “this is similar” type of message.

    What I really want is something that is going to give me a guide on how to use those tables to expand the number of subscribers and satisfied readers.

    I’d like the site stats guide to run through some expamles. Show how:

  • stats-reports can be applied to a given situation;
  • sample content can be improved;
  • site can be more effectively marketed to a new audience; and
  • how to find these new readers.

  • I want to know more than what content is popular. I want to get a better feel of my readers, why that content is popular, and what I can do to give them more of what they want, and less of what is of no interest to them.

    Sometimes, my readers aren’t sure exactly why they like stuff. They just know it. I’d like to know also so I can give them more of that without bothering them with questions.

    Summary

    Here’s what I want:


  • A guide in the site stats that tells me how to use the information and charts;

  • A site stats guide to walk me through various scenarios on content and site hits, and show how the site-tool gave specific feedback to adjust the content, focus of a publisher;

  • Case studies of how a site stats platform improved the quality and number of subscribers to a platform;

  • Useable feedback from the data on how the content that I am providing is working, and how I can get more of what the audience wants in front of the people who want that content.

  • A platform that shows me how to aggregate all this data to create specific:
    - profile of the readers who like my content;
    - target audiences;
    - strategies on how I can find them; and
    - solutions to transform readers into subscribers.




  • LEGAL NOTICE


    Creative Commons License

    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

    You may not copy any of this work to promote a commercial product on any site or medium in the universe.

    If you see this work posted on a commercial site, it violates the creative commons license; and the author does not endorse the commercial product.

    Free to use for non-commercial uses. Link to this original blogspot and cite as .
  • I’ve noticed something about site stats. They’re just that. Stats, without much help.

    How the site stats tools might be improved:

    XML Stat Coach

    Better guidance on how to use the data

    Your user doesn’t care about stats. Your user wants information to make their site better:

  • What is working?

  • How can I get more of the good stuff exposed to more people?

    Make a list of typical problems or things users are trying to do, and walk them through the various features you have to show them how your stats-site will help them.

    The users want to know:

  • What’s working, and why is that working;

  • What types of content my users are typically asking for;

  • What I really want to know is:
    the nature of the reader,
    the types of problems the reader typically has, and
    why this specific information was working for them


  • Include guides on how to use the information. Your guide needs to show how your site will answer these questions.

    For example, I need to know why I am changing content. If my content is poor and the site stats are low, I need to know what changes will likely increase interest.

    Either I need to change my content into something that matches what most readers want; or I need to create a strategy to find the readers that are interested in what I make.

    Right now, the stats tools don’t help me on this. They don’t really help the user with a strategy of how to apply this information:
  • How can I find more readers who like the particular type of content that I have on this page: and
  • How can I transform this content into something that will attract more readers?

  • Sure, I can go to Google and look for similar pages. But that’s outside the site stats. And it’s also a problem when Google hasn’t indexed my page.

    What’s worse is when I have a lot of hits on a page that is apparently very interesting, but nobody is actually linking to it – so the page never gets hit with a “this is similar” type of message.

    What I really want is something that is going to give me a guide on how to use those tables to expand the number of subscribers and satisfied readers.

    I’d like the site stats guide to run through some expamles. Show how:

  • stats-reports can be applied to a given situation;
  • sample content can be improved;
  • site can be more effectively marketed to a new audience; and
  • how to find these new readers.

  • I want to know more than what content is popular. I want to get a better feel of my readers, why that content is popular, and what I can do to give them more of what they want, and less of what is of no interest to them.

    Sometimes, my readers aren’t sure exactly why they like stuff. They just know it. I’d like to know also so I can give them more of that without bothering them with questions.

    Summary

    Here’s what I want:


  • A guide in the site stats that tells me how to use the information and charts;

  • A site stats guide to walk me through various scenarios on content and site hits, and show how the site-tool gave specific feedback to adjust the content, focus of a publisher;

  • Case studies of how a site stats platform improved the quality and number of subscribers to a platform;

  • Useable feedback from the data on how the content that I am providing is working, and how I can get more of what the audience wants in front of the people who want that content.

  • A platform that shows me how to aggregate all this data to create specific:
    - profile of the readers who like my content;
    - target audiences;
    - strategies on how I can find them; and
    - solutions to transform readers into subscribers.




  • LEGAL NOTICE


    Creative Commons License

    This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

    You may not copy any of this work to promote a commercial product on any site or medium in the universe.

    If you see this work posted on a commercial site, it violates the creative commons license; and the author does not endorse the commercial product.

    Free to use for non-commercial uses. Link to this original blogspot and cite as .
    " />