18 March 2005

Vertical searches got you running in circles?

Occasionally I hear the term vertical search; I wonder which definition someone is using.

When I talk about a vertical search I’m talking about a decision that I’m thinking about making. You might make a vertical search engine that meets your definition.

What I want is content that’s going to help me make a decision to reach a goal. It would be nice to have a tool like this to help guide me to which experts and information would be appropriate to listen to or ignore.


What type of vertical search are you talking about?


By subject: Look at a single subject with many engines and platforms

By site: Look at a single website with many search engine tools

By tags and terms: Look at a single terms or concept from many different perspectives

By product: Look across a single search engine for all mentions of a specific product, and find discussions, chat, forums, online product recommendations, and other consumer information about the particular product

By folders: Look at a single concept from many different sets of folders, bookmarks, and other comments others have made about the issue

By situation: Look at a single situation or event from the perspective of many perspectives

By decision: Look at a single decision from the perspective of what risks is the user likely to take, and what mitigation and action plan is needed to increase the probability of success to something larger than the hassles of taking that path.


I want access to reliable information that is going to support a decision. If the feed that will give me this information is from a 4th grader who plays the clarinet, sign me up.


User requirements for Decision Support Search Tools


I need search engines and feeds that are linked to decisions. I want feeds that are going to keep me informed decisions about focus, warnings, risks, mitigations, and their options.

I want my decisions to be supported by the right feeds. I want to know to watch out for certain things; and I want some good recommendations on feeds that are reliable to point me in the right direction.

I want something that is going to point out the real risks, and tell me what types of people I need to talk to, and what I need to watch out for.


I don’t want to narrow my search to a specific topic. Rather, I want a multi-disciplinary approach to a given situation.


Feeds for home decisions


There's much more to buying a home than a simple checklist about a house. There are many other factors and players involved.

Unfortunately, sometimes we don't learn about these until there's a problem. If I’m buying a house. I don’t care just about the property. I also want a way to look at the real estate agents, the local area litigation history, and the tax consequences.

I’d also like to have a look at the caselaw related to specific properties and find out which ones are likely to be a problem. Then I’d like to look at the insurance history for the area, the claims, and litigation so that I get a sense of what problems I might be looking into.


LEGAL NOTICE


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

You may not copy any of this work to promote a commercial product on any site or medium in the universe.

If you see this work posted on a commercial site, it violates the creative commons license; and the author does not endorse the commercial product.

Free to use for non-commercial uses. Link to this original blogspot and cite as .




Feeds for peer screening


How I might have made some different decisions when I was 5 or six had I known the importance and consequences f small decisions early in life: What kinds of friends I might have chosen; who I would choose to listen to; how to screen advice; and which information, regardless the source, am I going to have to deal with.

Feeds people need are signs of bullying; what goes into a healthy self-esteem; the long-term consequences of not being assertive; and doing something about manipulation.


Feeds for estate planning


In this decision-support-platform, I don’t want lists of knowledge. I want factors that go into making this decision.

It would be nice to know far in advance of an employment decision, what factors would go into an estate planning too. We might make more informed decisions about taxes, estate planning, pre-nuptual agreements.

Feeds to support estate planning include understanding how to screen CPAs in re tax advice; knowing what the risks and benefits are in choosing between different planning strategies; and understanding the near-term costs to support long-term education requirements.

These are knowable. But the current search engines do not support a decision; they rely on users already knowing the terms to ask the right questions. People who are looking for information don't know the terms they are looking for.


Feeds to support estate decisions


In re marriage contracts, family planning, and education.

We might have made different decisions about the appropriateness of a marriage if we had known the potential litigation issues we might face during a property settlement or considering the alimony.

For example, when the financial risks of investing in one class of instruments verses another and how to recover and still fund the grandchildren’s education; or whether there is any prospect of recovery, and the likely time delays.

If it’s years, I’d like to know that before I start the discussion, rather than in the middle of the mess.



Feeds for community selection decisions


Then its into the environmental issues. What laws do I need to be aware of. What the history of the mercury in the water.

Then onto the area of local government and law enforcement and the courts. Do I want to bother living in an area where the local government says they ‘ll do something, they actually do something else, but the voters keep voting the same people back in.

And the police chief and sheriff. Even though the town has a low crime rate, is that because their teach their officers to rebuff complaints.

I want to know what the options are, the mitigations in that decision.



Feeds to support fiduciary screening


Although some might suggest that an attorney is the best one to talk to about this, I’d really like them to show me a tool that’s going to tell me about choosing an attorney.

Although I can easily call up a referral service, I’d really like to know the caselaw related to legal malpractice, and know what types of things the attorney is going to ask me to sign the moment I walk in the door.

Just like I’d like to know what I’m really signing when I open a brokerage account.

It might be nice to know that even though I’m going to the attorney or broker for assistance, I actually need to have spoken with two malpractice attorneys before even walking through the door.

One malpractice attorney to go after the attorney or broker who screw up; and the second malpractice attorney to go after the first malpractice attorney who screws up the case.


Feeds to help me monitor the experts


I find it rather irritating that I have to know the statutes, court rules, clearly promulgated statues, and policies better than those who are the experts in order to remind them which way the money is going: From me, the client, to them the fiduciary.

Despite their professional certifications, we find that that oversight board are weak. It is noteworthy some may spend quite a bit of money to closely monitor the experts.



Feeds to support oversight-decisions


It is the nature of contracts and agreements. Counter parties generally cannot be trusted, on their own, to do what needs to be done but for the threat of close oversight, prodding, and surprise audit visits, or a credible threat of litigation.

The hassles of interacting with some professions might be far higher than the actual rewards. These are the types of things I’d like to know that I’m getting into before I make the first call or contact.



Feeds to support venture-decisions


Just as I know there are certain things that go on before an employment offer is given; just like they’re checking me out, I’d like to check them out.

If there’s pending litigation, or one of the officers on the board has a problem with the SEC, I’m less inclined to bother with that corporation, regardless how lucrative the offer might be.

It would be nice to have some better search tools that would help me separate those who are responsive and reliable, from those who end up making the hassles far higher than is worth the investment.

In the end, if I know the scope of hassles I’m likely to face, I’m in a better position to make some informed decisions about who I want to choose as my colleagues, employees, and partners.

If I know in advance that the probability of success in a given situation is poor unless I have certain evidence, then I’ll have to weigh [a] the cost of getting that evidence as I go along against [b] the likely response I might get when I need to be blunt with those who are used to having clients grovel.

Unfortunately, I see no search engine that embraces life as it is. Rather, the search engines are very primitive and poorly support what is needed to make informed decisions.

At this point, the best I can hope for when relying on a search engine is a long list of bookmarks with content that gives me more of what I already know I don’t need: More hassles and little to point out the real problems and situations I have to face.


User requirements


I want lists of feeds that support a given decision. I don’t want lists of recommended feeds for me.

I want feeds that are related to the milestones in my life. I don’t want lists of feeds that are related to my searches.

I’d like a search engine that gives me the feeds that support decisions, not something that is going to give me more information unrelated to what is actually required to support a reasonable decision.

I’d like the information organized into groups, along timelines, in a way that presents me with checklists, and links from those summary reports to anecdotal information and caselaw that will illustrate the risks, and point me in the right direction to mitigate those risks.


Then the next step is for me to sit down and use my aggregator to put together a plan to figure out what needs to be done to manage these risks.

If it’s financial: Do I need more follow-up visits; is there a chance that training and extra emphasis is going to adjust the situation; or is it time to choose another option.

The vertical search engine should do this for me, I shouldn't have to tell the engine how to work.
Occasionally I hear the term vertical search; I wonder which definition someone is using.

When I talk about a vertical search I’m talking about a decision that I’m thinking about making. You might make a vertical search engine that meets your definition.

What I want is content that’s going to help me make a decision to reach a goal. It would be nice to have a tool like this to help guide me to which experts and information would be appropriate to listen to or ignore.


What type of vertical search are you talking about?


By subject: Look at a single subject with many engines and platforms

By site: Look at a single website with many search engine tools

By tags and terms: Look at a single terms or concept from many different perspectives

By product: Look across a single search engine for all mentions of a specific product, and find discussions, chat, forums, online product recommendations, and other consumer information about the particular product

By folders: Look at a single concept from many different sets of folders, bookmarks, and other comments others have made about the issue

By situation: Look at a single situation or event from the perspective of many perspectives

By decision: Look at a single decision from the perspective of what risks is the user likely to take, and what mitigation and action plan is needed to increase the probability of success to something larger than the hassles of taking that path.


I want access to reliable information that is going to support a decision. If the feed that will give me this information is from a 4th grader who plays the clarinet, sign me up.


User requirements for Decision Support Search Tools


I need search engines and feeds that are linked to decisions. I want feeds that are going to keep me informed decisions about focus, warnings, risks, mitigations, and their options.

I want my decisions to be supported by the right feeds. I want to know to watch out for certain things; and I want some good recommendations on feeds that are reliable to point me in the right direction.

I want something that is going to point out the real risks, and tell me what types of people I need to talk to, and what I need to watch out for.


I don’t want to narrow my search to a specific topic. Rather, I want a multi-disciplinary approach to a given situation.


Feeds for home decisions


There's much more to buying a home than a simple checklist about a house. There are many other factors and players involved.

Unfortunately, sometimes we don't learn about these until there's a problem. If I’m buying a house. I don’t care just about the property. I also want a way to look at the real estate agents, the local area litigation history, and the tax consequences.

I’d also like to have a look at the caselaw related to specific properties and find out which ones are likely to be a problem. Then I’d like to look at the insurance history for the area, the claims, and litigation so that I get a sense of what problems I might be looking into.


LEGAL NOTICE


Creative Commons License

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons License.

You may not copy any of this work to promote a commercial product on any site or medium in the universe.

If you see this work posted on a commercial site, it violates the creative commons license; and the author does not endorse the commercial product.

Free to use for non-commercial uses. Link to this original blogspot and cite as .




Feeds for peer screening


How I might have made some different decisions when I was 5 or six had I known the importance and consequences f small decisions early in life: What kinds of friends I might have chosen; who I would choose to listen to; how to screen advice; and which information, regardless the source, am I going to have to deal with.

Feeds people need are signs of bullying; what goes into a healthy self-esteem; the long-term consequences of not being assertive; and doing something about manipulation.


Feeds for estate planning


In this decision-support-platform, I don’t want lists of knowledge. I want factors that go into making this decision.

It would be nice to know far in advance of an employment decision, what factors would go into an estate planning too. We might make more informed decisions about taxes, estate planning, pre-nuptual agreements.

Feeds to support estate planning include understanding how to screen CPAs in re tax advice; knowing what the risks and benefits are in choosing between different planning strategies; and understanding the near-term costs to support long-term education requirements.

These are knowable. But the current search engines do not support a decision; they rely on users already knowing the terms to ask the right questions. People who are looking for information don't know the terms they are looking for.


Feeds to support estate decisions


In re marriage contracts, family planning, and education.

We might have made different decisions about the appropriateness of a marriage if we had known the potential litigation issues we might face during a property settlement or considering the alimony.

For example, when the financial risks of investing in one class of instruments verses another and how to recover and still fund the grandchildren’s education; or whether there is any prospect of recovery, and the likely time delays.

If it’s years, I’d like to know that before I start the discussion, rather than in the middle of the mess.



Feeds for community selection decisions


Then its into the environmental issues. What laws do I need to be aware of. What the history of the mercury in the water.

Then onto the area of local government and law enforcement and the courts. Do I want to bother living in an area where the local government says they ‘ll do something, they actually do something else, but the voters keep voting the same people back in.

And the police chief and sheriff. Even though the town has a low crime rate, is that because their teach their officers to rebuff complaints.

I want to know what the options are, the mitigations in that decision.



Feeds to support fiduciary screening


Although some might suggest that an attorney is the best one to talk to about this, I’d really like them to show me a tool that’s going to tell me about choosing an attorney.

Although I can easily call up a referral service, I’d really like to know the caselaw related to legal malpractice, and know what types of things the attorney is going to ask me to sign the moment I walk in the door.

Just like I’d like to know what I’m really signing when I open a brokerage account.

It might be nice to know that even though I’m going to the attorney or broker for assistance, I actually need to have spoken with two malpractice attorneys before even walking through the door.

One malpractice attorney to go after the attorney or broker who screw up; and the second malpractice attorney to go after the first malpractice attorney who screws up the case.


Feeds to help me monitor the experts


I find it rather irritating that I have to know the statutes, court rules, clearly promulgated statues, and policies better than those who are the experts in order to remind them which way the money is going: From me, the client, to them the fiduciary.

Despite their professional certifications, we find that that oversight board are weak. It is noteworthy some may spend quite a bit of money to closely monitor the experts.



Feeds to support oversight-decisions


It is the nature of contracts and agreements. Counter parties generally cannot be trusted, on their own, to do what needs to be done but for the threat of close oversight, prodding, and surprise audit visits, or a credible threat of litigation.

The hassles of interacting with some professions might be far higher than the actual rewards. These are the types of things I’d like to know that I’m getting into before I make the first call or contact.



Feeds to support venture-decisions


Just as I know there are certain things that go on before an employment offer is given; just like they’re checking me out, I’d like to check them out.

If there’s pending litigation, or one of the officers on the board has a problem with the SEC, I’m less inclined to bother with that corporation, regardless how lucrative the offer might be.

It would be nice to have some better search tools that would help me separate those who are responsive and reliable, from those who end up making the hassles far higher than is worth the investment.

In the end, if I know the scope of hassles I’m likely to face, I’m in a better position to make some informed decisions about who I want to choose as my colleagues, employees, and partners.

If I know in advance that the probability of success in a given situation is poor unless I have certain evidence, then I’ll have to weigh [a] the cost of getting that evidence as I go along against [b] the likely response I might get when I need to be blunt with those who are used to having clients grovel.

Unfortunately, I see no search engine that embraces life as it is. Rather, the search engines are very primitive and poorly support what is needed to make informed decisions.

At this point, the best I can hope for when relying on a search engine is a long list of bookmarks with content that gives me more of what I already know I don’t need: More hassles and little to point out the real problems and situations I have to face.


User requirements


I want lists of feeds that support a given decision. I don’t want lists of recommended feeds for me.

I want feeds that are related to the milestones in my life. I don’t want lists of feeds that are related to my searches.

I’d like a search engine that gives me the feeds that support decisions, not something that is going to give me more information unrelated to what is actually required to support a reasonable decision.

I’d like the information organized into groups, along timelines, in a way that presents me with checklists, and links from those summary reports to anecdotal information and caselaw that will illustrate the risks, and point me in the right direction to mitigate those risks.


Then the next step is for me to sit down and use my aggregator to put together a plan to figure out what needs to be done to manage these risks.

If it’s financial: Do I need more follow-up visits; is there a chance that training and extra emphasis is going to adjust the situation; or is it time to choose another option.

The vertical search engine should do this for me, I shouldn't have to tell the engine how to work.
" />