22 April 2005

Browser friendly versions of XML feeds: Easy to find content, maybe I'll subscribe

Wondering why Yahoo RSS feeds are not available for preview?

If you are kind enough to make a feed, it's good to see something that is browser friendly. Look to the lower right and try Yahoo Picks: I would rather pick something readable, before I choose to subscribe.

Here are two other examples of browser-friendly feeds. ;-)

Details

One thing I've noticed about big lists is that it's nice to be able to see a browser friendly version of the XML feed.

Take a look at the lower right on this page: Other Yahoo! RSS

  • Click on Yahoo News

  • Pick Top Stories

    Notice how the output from Top Stories has the XML code, while back on the cell phones we have a nice browser friendly version.

    I don't know about you, but if I'm a new person looking at an XML-RSS feed for the first time, or simply hoping to check out the content in a feed [without subscribing, just to look at something that caught my eye], I'd rather look at the browser friendly version.

    Plus, if that readable-browser-friendly version is something I might want to come back to again, then I'd like to subscribe with a quick button like this
  • Wondering why Yahoo RSS feeds are not available for preview?

    If you are kind enough to make a feed, it's good to see something that is browser friendly. Look to the lower right and try Yahoo Picks: I would rather pick something readable, before I choose to subscribe.

    Here are two other examples of browser-friendly feeds. ;-)

    Details

    One thing I've noticed about big lists is that it's nice to be able to see a browser friendly version of the XML feed.

    Take a look at the lower right on this page: Other Yahoo! RSS

  • Click on Yahoo News

  • Pick Top Stories

    Notice how the output from Top Stories has the XML code, while back on the cell phones we have a nice browser friendly version.

    I don't know about you, but if I'm a new person looking at an XML-RSS feed for the first time, or simply hoping to check out the content in a feed [without subscribing, just to look at something that caught my eye], I'd rather look at the browser friendly version.

    Plus, if that readable-browser-friendly version is something I might want to come back to again, then I'd like to subscribe with a quick button like this
    " />