21 April 2005

Firefox Browser integration issues with Blogger

Apparently I'm not the only one having problems with browsers.

If you’re reading this in your aggregator you may have no idea what I’m talking about. If you have access to Firefox or Safari, I encourage you to review my blogpage.

You’ll see that it is a mess. I’m sorry. I have no idea what to do.

I’m opening this up as a challenge for the Firefox and blogging communities to take on. I’m not really in a position to provide anything other than a platform for there to be a discussion on the issue.

As I see it, there is an integration issue between Firefox and Blogger. It appears as though this is a known issue.

However, until it is fixed, it is still annoying.

What I’m looking for is some feedback and discussion on what the timeframe might be when there might be some closure to this.

I realize that Firefox is somewhat a user-driven testing-platform. For the most part it appears as though Firefox relies on open-source volunteer testers. At this juncture, I’ve looked over the templates for the Firefox testing, and it appears there are many other issues on the plate.

What I do know is that the problem with blogger isn’t isolated to blogger. I know this because the display issues are easily handled with IE. This means to me that there’s something that IE does that Firefox doesn’t; or there’s something that Blogger and IE have agreed on, which Firefox and Blogger haven’t similarly agreed to.

I’m not sure what to say. However, all I can offer is the platform for the issue to get discussed, or perhaps someone has some links they’d like to share with others on what the status of the proposed workaround is.

At this point, I have two problems with it:

  • A. the issue isn’t occurring in IE, yet all I hear is how great Firefox is over IE. OK, that may be true, but don’t ask me to believe something that I can’t replicate.

  • B. The major issue is that despite my using IE, I still have content-readers who use Firefox, but they can’t read my blog. I don’t want to say, “Go get IE” because that doesn’t solve the issue. Nor do I want to make suggestions about Firefox which I have no basis to know: I can’t see the inner workings of Firefox, nor do I have a clue what Blogger and Firefox aren’t doing that IE and Blogger are doing.

  • C. Blogger: I’m not sure what to say. It seems as though people are quick to jump on the “I hate blogger bandwagon,” but the problem isn’t blogger, as evidenced by the ease to which the blogger displays in IE.

    Summary

    I’m not sure what to say. I’d like to be helpful. But at this point, I can’t really do much about a browser that doesn’t appear to have a formal testing and management system. Nor can I do something about a blogger-Firefox integration issue when that “issue” appears to be resolved between IE and blogger.

    What I can do is let my readers know that I’m aware of the problem with Firefox and would be glad to do something specific to address the problem. Yet, at this point I’m at a loss what to do.

    Going forward

    What I’d like is a guess from someone, anyone, as to when this blogger-Firefox integration issue might be resolved. That way at least I’d have an idea what to tell my readers and blog-users what to do.

    I’d like for Blogger and IE to share the smart things they’ve done to address this issue that Blogger and Firefox appear to not be able to address.

    I’d like for there to be some visibility to this issue in the Firefox testing and some general feedback through the open media, Thunderbird, and also Blogger when the integration issue with the browser is expected to be resolved.

    What I’m willing to do

    If you have something specific that you want me to read, or some tests that you want me to conduct using Firefox and this blogging platform, feel free to leave comments and point me to specific tests and links that you want run. I’d be glad to help out.

    Good luck!
  • Apparently I'm not the only one having problems with browsers.

    If you’re reading this in your aggregator you may have no idea what I’m talking about. If you have access to Firefox or Safari, I encourage you to review my blogpage.

    You’ll see that it is a mess. I’m sorry. I have no idea what to do.

    I’m opening this up as a challenge for the Firefox and blogging communities to take on. I’m not really in a position to provide anything other than a platform for there to be a discussion on the issue.

    As I see it, there is an integration issue between Firefox and Blogger. It appears as though this is a known issue.

    However, until it is fixed, it is still annoying.

    What I’m looking for is some feedback and discussion on what the timeframe might be when there might be some closure to this.

    I realize that Firefox is somewhat a user-driven testing-platform. For the most part it appears as though Firefox relies on open-source volunteer testers. At this juncture, I’ve looked over the templates for the Firefox testing, and it appears there are many other issues on the plate.

    What I do know is that the problem with blogger isn’t isolated to blogger. I know this because the display issues are easily handled with IE. This means to me that there’s something that IE does that Firefox doesn’t; or there’s something that Blogger and IE have agreed on, which Firefox and Blogger haven’t similarly agreed to.

    I’m not sure what to say. However, all I can offer is the platform for the issue to get discussed, or perhaps someone has some links they’d like to share with others on what the status of the proposed workaround is.

    At this point, I have two problems with it:

  • A. the issue isn’t occurring in IE, yet all I hear is how great Firefox is over IE. OK, that may be true, but don’t ask me to believe something that I can’t replicate.

  • B. The major issue is that despite my using IE, I still have content-readers who use Firefox, but they can’t read my blog. I don’t want to say, “Go get IE” because that doesn’t solve the issue. Nor do I want to make suggestions about Firefox which I have no basis to know: I can’t see the inner workings of Firefox, nor do I have a clue what Blogger and Firefox aren’t doing that IE and Blogger are doing.

  • C. Blogger: I’m not sure what to say. It seems as though people are quick to jump on the “I hate blogger bandwagon,” but the problem isn’t blogger, as evidenced by the ease to which the blogger displays in IE.

    Summary

    I’m not sure what to say. I’d like to be helpful. But at this point, I can’t really do much about a browser that doesn’t appear to have a formal testing and management system. Nor can I do something about a blogger-Firefox integration issue when that “issue” appears to be resolved between IE and blogger.

    What I can do is let my readers know that I’m aware of the problem with Firefox and would be glad to do something specific to address the problem. Yet, at this point I’m at a loss what to do.

    Going forward

    What I’d like is a guess from someone, anyone, as to when this blogger-Firefox integration issue might be resolved. That way at least I’d have an idea what to tell my readers and blog-users what to do.

    I’d like for Blogger and IE to share the smart things they’ve done to address this issue that Blogger and Firefox appear to not be able to address.

    I’d like for there to be some visibility to this issue in the Firefox testing and some general feedback through the open media, Thunderbird, and also Blogger when the integration issue with the browser is expected to be resolved.

    What I’m willing to do

    If you have something specific that you want me to read, or some tests that you want me to conduct using Firefox and this blogging platform, feel free to leave comments and point me to specific tests and links that you want run. I’d be glad to help out.

    Good luck!
    " />