09 April 2005

Technorati Servlette: Option to add more than one feed or blog to be searched

Have you had a chance to look closely at the Technorati Servlette lately? It's pretty neat. It's got two options: You can search either the blog or the web.

In the case of most bloggers, they ping Technorati, and the Servelette or Searchlet will then go into the Technorati database to return the results.

Notice the servelette or searchlet again. There are only two options. But what happens if there's a site with more than one feed?

This blogspot has two-feeds; and it suddenly occurred to me, wouldn't it be nice to be able to adjust the servelette or searchlet code so I can add the comment-feed as a 2nd search option to the servelette or searchlet.


Searchlet Code


< form method="get" action="http://technorati.com/cosmos/search.html" style="width:13em;text-align:left" >
< fieldset style="padding:4px">
< legend> <a href="http://technorati.com/" >Technorati </a> search </legend>
< input type="hidden" name="sub" value="searchlet" />
< input style="width:12em" type="text" name="url" maxlength="255" value="" />
< label style="display:block;padding-top:3px" for="ts_yb" title="">
< input type="radio" checked="checked" name="from" id="ts_yb" value="" />
this blog< /label>


INSERT CODE FOR THE COMMENT-FEED HERE

I'd like to get the code for the comment feed;

I'd think that I could claim the feed by posting the "claim feed code"
to my comment-feed-entry, then ping pingomatic.



< label style="margin-right:.2em" for="ts_www">
< input type="radio" name="from" id="ts_www" value="" /> all blogs</label>
< input type="submit" value="Search" class="search" />
< /fieldset>
< /form>


Thinking out loud

I would imagine that I would have to claim a second blog, and replace the comment-feed as this blog. But how do I claim something that is a feed? There's no place on the comment-feed to register it with Technorati.

What I did was go to "claim blog" feature in Technorati; scraped the code for the Haloscan Feed[used the code that said I was not able to adjust the template]; pasted this HTML code directly to one of the comments in the Haloscan-comment-feed, then pinged PingOmatic.

After

Well, I've posted the code to the comment feed, but I'm seeing no change in the claimed weblogs. Given the possible time delays: This either doesn't work, or could work but I won't know for a few minutes, at most a day.

Any ideas?

Added after pinging

BTW: I used the feedburner feed of the Haloscan comments.
Have you had a chance to look closely at the Technorati Servlette lately? It's pretty neat. It's got two options: You can search either the blog or the web.

In the case of most bloggers, they ping Technorati, and the Servelette or Searchlet will then go into the Technorati database to return the results.

Notice the servelette or searchlet again. There are only two options. But what happens if there's a site with more than one feed?

This blogspot has two-feeds; and it suddenly occurred to me, wouldn't it be nice to be able to adjust the servelette or searchlet code so I can add the comment-feed as a 2nd search option to the servelette or searchlet.


Searchlet Code


< form method="get" action="http://technorati.com/cosmos/search.html" style="width:13em;text-align:left" >
< fieldset style="padding:4px">
< legend> <a href="http://technorati.com/" >Technorati </a> search </legend>
< input type="hidden" name="sub" value="searchlet" />
< input style="width:12em" type="text" name="url" maxlength="255" value="" />
< label style="display:block;padding-top:3px" for="ts_yb" title="">
< input type="radio" checked="checked" name="from" id="ts_yb" value="" />
this blog< /label>


INSERT CODE FOR THE COMMENT-FEED HERE

I'd like to get the code for the comment feed;

I'd think that I could claim the feed by posting the "claim feed code"
to my comment-feed-entry, then ping pingomatic.



< label style="margin-right:.2em" for="ts_www">
< input type="radio" name="from" id="ts_www" value="" /> all blogs</label>
< input type="submit" value="Search" class="search" />
< /fieldset>
< /form>


Thinking out loud

I would imagine that I would have to claim a second blog, and replace the comment-feed as this blog. But how do I claim something that is a feed? There's no place on the comment-feed to register it with Technorati.

What I did was go to "claim blog" feature in Technorati; scraped the code for the Haloscan Feed[used the code that said I was not able to adjust the template]; pasted this HTML code directly to one of the comments in the Haloscan-comment-feed, then pinged PingOmatic.

After

Well, I've posted the code to the comment feed, but I'm seeing no change in the claimed weblogs. Given the possible time delays: This either doesn't work, or could work but I won't know for a few minutes, at most a day.

Any ideas?

Added after pinging

BTW: I used the feedburner feed of the Haloscan comments.
" />