21 April 2005

Y!Q -- Some general comments on the beta version

Y!Q Search Feedback: More and another

Jeremey Zawodny on his blog was kind enough to provide the code to install the Y!Q search on blogger.

The idea behind Y!Q is that publishers can highlight text and give readers the option t quickly find related topics related to particular key words.

It’s kind of like installing a miniature searchplatform on a webpage, but it is focused on pre-loaded search terms.

I’ve messed around with the code and to make a long story short, I though it would make things easier if there were some consolidated blogger-related hacks.

To be clear, despite the reported “ease” to which the codes can be added, I found the process rather annoying.

Let’s start at the beginning.

  • Lack of a simple way to get the code

    The Y!Q instructions about where to get the code are somewhat straightforward, but they are hard to read. I’m not talking the language [another story], but the fact that the font on the code-to-copy is sometimes a little light to read.

    It would be nice if the code had some color, as opposed to the gray-light-font. And it would be nice if the code was a little larger to read. Granted, I can use the text-enlarger to read the code, but why not simply make the code the same size as the surrounding text?

    If the font size is an issue, why not simply use the wrap-command so that the code can still show up without bleeding.

  • The provided codes do not work on the bloggig platform

    Jeremy’s provided code apparently works on WordPress. A couple hacks-later on the search page, there is a suggestion to change the code so that it works on blogger.

    That’s brilliant. Why not simply make the code copy and paste, as opposed to copy, attempt to use, fail, and then find the change later.

    It would be nice if there was a central place to copy the blogger-related code. I’d do that, but guess what: I can’t get the code to work, so I’m not going to start letting others copy from me code for Y!Q that I don’t stand by.

  • The hack provided doesn’t hack

    There were some users who took a look at Jeremy’s Y!Q hack, modified it, and made some suggestions so that the code integrates with blogger.

    Two problems. First, the code-as-suggested-to-be-changed doesn’t work.

    Second, it would be nice if the code for blogger was in one place, so that we could simply copy it, and try it out. As opposed to the current method: Copy the code that doesn’t work, waste time, then add a change that still doesn’t work.

  • The code is trouble some

    Overall, I found the process of attempting to use Y!Q somewhat baffling. In theory, it looks nice. I like the idea of seeing a drop-down menu with related searches.

    In practice, I have yet to actually see this executed on any platform I create. My major beef with the code is that it’s difficult to find the code on the Yahoo platform.

    It was only when I started searching around on Google that I found Jeremy’s code. As I already mentioned there are needed-modifications which also don’t readily work.


  • There could be an easier way

    Now that I’ve still got you reading despite all the annoyances, the best that I can offer is a vision of where I’d like things to be. I’m sure many of you in Yahoo have already though of this.

    First, it would be nice if there was a simple way to copy the code. Remember how easy it was to copy the code for the Yahoo button when it first came out? Sure, there were some bugs in it, but it was still easy to add the Yahoo Button.

    I’d like the same ease in using Y!Q: Give me a single place I can go to in Yahoo where I can get the code for blogger. I don’t want to have to jump around between blogs trying to patch this solution together.

    It would be nice if there was an open box with a listing of the types of blogs that are out there. The user could simply select their blog-type, and Yahoo would auto-generate the code for that platform. Simple.

    Also, I’d like to see some better explanation of how to actually adjust the code once I go to use it. For some reason the terms in the code aren’t all that clear. I’d like a generic phrase in capital letters like ADD YOUR SEARCH TERM HERE so that I would know that that is the phrase I need to tailor to each blogspot.

    Also, what I would like to see is a simple chicklet for this that I could post on my blog so that users know that my site is Y!Q enabled; and a link back to Yahoo using that chicklet so that users know what to do or where to get help of they have problems.

    If you’re reading this on Firefox, I commend you. I realize there are problems, but I am not sure what the problem is.

    Summary

    To summarize, what I’d like is this:

  • A quick and easy way to get the code
  • Reliable code that works
  • A place for my users and me to go to for a forum or discussion on this problem, and something that is hosted by Yahoo
  • Some better internal commands in the code on what portions to change
  • Use of color in the code-template as opposed to light-color; better consistency on font size on the display page
  • A chicklet that takes my readers and me back to the Yahoo-support area for questions
  • Y!Q Search Feedback: More and another

    Jeremey Zawodny on his blog was kind enough to provide the code to install the Y!Q search on blogger.

    The idea behind Y!Q is that publishers can highlight text and give readers the option t quickly find related topics related to particular key words.

    It’s kind of like installing a miniature searchplatform on a webpage, but it is focused on pre-loaded search terms.

    I’ve messed around with the code and to make a long story short, I though it would make things easier if there were some consolidated blogger-related hacks.

    To be clear, despite the reported “ease” to which the codes can be added, I found the process rather annoying.

    Let’s start at the beginning.

  • Lack of a simple way to get the code

    The Y!Q instructions about where to get the code are somewhat straightforward, but they are hard to read. I’m not talking the language [another story], but the fact that the font on the code-to-copy is sometimes a little light to read.

    It would be nice if the code had some color, as opposed to the gray-light-font. And it would be nice if the code was a little larger to read. Granted, I can use the text-enlarger to read the code, but why not simply make the code the same size as the surrounding text?

    If the font size is an issue, why not simply use the wrap-command so that the code can still show up without bleeding.

  • The provided codes do not work on the bloggig platform

    Jeremy’s provided code apparently works on WordPress. A couple hacks-later on the search page, there is a suggestion to change the code so that it works on blogger.

    That’s brilliant. Why not simply make the code copy and paste, as opposed to copy, attempt to use, fail, and then find the change later.

    It would be nice if there was a central place to copy the blogger-related code. I’d do that, but guess what: I can’t get the code to work, so I’m not going to start letting others copy from me code for Y!Q that I don’t stand by.

  • The hack provided doesn’t hack

    There were some users who took a look at Jeremy’s Y!Q hack, modified it, and made some suggestions so that the code integrates with blogger.

    Two problems. First, the code-as-suggested-to-be-changed doesn’t work.

    Second, it would be nice if the code for blogger was in one place, so that we could simply copy it, and try it out. As opposed to the current method: Copy the code that doesn’t work, waste time, then add a change that still doesn’t work.

  • The code is trouble some

    Overall, I found the process of attempting to use Y!Q somewhat baffling. In theory, it looks nice. I like the idea of seeing a drop-down menu with related searches.

    In practice, I have yet to actually see this executed on any platform I create. My major beef with the code is that it’s difficult to find the code on the Yahoo platform.

    It was only when I started searching around on Google that I found Jeremy’s code. As I already mentioned there are needed-modifications which also don’t readily work.


  • There could be an easier way

    Now that I’ve still got you reading despite all the annoyances, the best that I can offer is a vision of where I’d like things to be. I’m sure many of you in Yahoo have already though of this.

    First, it would be nice if there was a simple way to copy the code. Remember how easy it was to copy the code for the Yahoo button when it first came out? Sure, there were some bugs in it, but it was still easy to add the Yahoo Button.

    I’d like the same ease in using Y!Q: Give me a single place I can go to in Yahoo where I can get the code for blogger. I don’t want to have to jump around between blogs trying to patch this solution together.

    It would be nice if there was an open box with a listing of the types of blogs that are out there. The user could simply select their blog-type, and Yahoo would auto-generate the code for that platform. Simple.

    Also, I’d like to see some better explanation of how to actually adjust the code once I go to use it. For some reason the terms in the code aren’t all that clear. I’d like a generic phrase in capital letters like ADD YOUR SEARCH TERM HERE so that I would know that that is the phrase I need to tailor to each blogspot.

    Also, what I would like to see is a simple chicklet for this that I could post on my blog so that users know that my site is Y!Q enabled; and a link back to Yahoo using that chicklet so that users know what to do or where to get help of they have problems.

    If you’re reading this on Firefox, I commend you. I realize there are problems, but I am not sure what the problem is.

    Summary

    To summarize, what I’d like is this:

  • A quick and easy way to get the code
  • Reliable code that works
  • A place for my users and me to go to for a forum or discussion on this problem, and something that is hosted by Yahoo
  • Some better internal commands in the code on what portions to change
  • Use of color in the code-template as opposed to light-color; better consistency on font size on the display page
  • A chicklet that takes my readers and me back to the Yahoo-support area for questions
    " />