04 April 2005

Zip Drives downloads: Why confusing directions can impede your downloads and software sales

The internet is supposed to make things easier than going to the store.

Yet, I've noticed that its easier to do the opposite: Buy the software in the store, and take it home.

Some software can be really easy to upload manually. Take Yahoo IM or ICQ. They have instructions as you go along.

On the other hand, I was loading up aggrevator's software using some of the compression tools.

It's amazing how difficult they can be: Which file to click on; where are the instructions.

I wish the developers made the compressed files as easy to work with as Yahoo IM. I'd like some better indicators of what to do, which file to click on, and instructions that run parallel to the steps.

Yes, there are commercial products to do this. But why not make this feature part of the original software product? I'm buying software because I want to use it, not because I want to then get stuck buying additional software to make the "difficulty of downloading what I want" easier.

It's easer to go to the store and buy it. I doesn't have to be.

Imagine having this as an unofficial industry standard: We sell you software over the internet, and in exchange we give you an easy way to upload the information, files, and get to work.

All contained in a single package. Or is this so obvious that it's from the 1990s, and this got lost on the XML-aggregator-stuff?
The internet is supposed to make things easier than going to the store.

Yet, I've noticed that its easier to do the opposite: Buy the software in the store, and take it home.

Some software can be really easy to upload manually. Take Yahoo IM or ICQ. They have instructions as you go along.

On the other hand, I was loading up aggrevator's software using some of the compression tools.

It's amazing how difficult they can be: Which file to click on; where are the instructions.

I wish the developers made the compressed files as easy to work with as Yahoo IM. I'd like some better indicators of what to do, which file to click on, and instructions that run parallel to the steps.

Yes, there are commercial products to do this. But why not make this feature part of the original software product? I'm buying software because I want to use it, not because I want to then get stuck buying additional software to make the "difficulty of downloading what I want" easier.

It's easer to go to the store and buy it. I doesn't have to be.

Imagine having this as an unofficial industry standard: We sell you software over the internet, and in exchange we give you an easy way to upload the information, files, and get to work.

All contained in a single package. Or is this so obvious that it's from the 1990s, and this got lost on the XML-aggregator-stuff?
" />