21 May 2005

Gingerbread crumbs

I've been thinking about URLs, bookmarks, tags, and organizing systems.




Gingerbread Doll

When searching and sharing links, there's an analogy: I as the advance gingerbread doll am lost in the forest; meanwhile the rest of the gingerbread dolls are back at the village.

My job is to leave crumbs so that I can find my way back, but then be able to go from my trail, in the reverse direction back to where I am, but without the drunken-sailor approach.

Rather, I would know the most efficient line tracing me current position, through the breadcrumbs, back to the objective. This means eliminating the paths that go in circles, and connecting the best crumbs in the best way. All this without having to guess, but be told by some outside guiding force.





Village

What I want is a way to leave little crumbs along the way so that I can retrace my steps, but then have an automated way for those crumbs to find the minimum distance between them.

What I'm looking for is a quick way to tag my way along the path, but then have my "system" [whatever that is, think enterprise] automatically log my path, then find the shortest distance between the juice and where others might want to start.

What I'd like is a fluid way to then move these item-paths around so that I can quickly create a roadmap for others to follow. Think of this as kind of like having an automated site-map, but it applies to my adventures on the web.

Most people don't want to read lists of links. What they want is context to those links. But I'm having trouble with these tagging systems. They're just more links.

What I'd really like is an overarching organizing method that extracts the linking systems and will more seamlessly create a meaningful structure that I can send as a single packet of information.




LP: Optimal path


That's right: Once all this data gets thrown into a single package, I'd like to export this information along a feed and then the next person can quickly follow my specific path to the destination, but go directly along the most efficient route, as opposed to retracing all the dead ends or distractions.

Ideally, I'd like to do more than simply ship links; rather, I'd like to be able combine the activities from different days-searching into a single concept-related group; and then quickly export this.

In other words, as I dive into the forest, leave crumbs, I don't want to have to make everyone else follow each link that I've saved. I want a faster way for others to see the structure of what I've found; and then I want to be able to apply my future-findings to this idealized structure.

In turn, in the future, as I go new places, and find better ways to organize these routes, I want the future "better patterns and organizing" to retroactively apply to my previous links-juice.

Summary

Suppose I'm the gingerbread doll-lead of the gingerbread village. What I want is to be able to leave crumbs as I walk. And then someone who follows me [and me not talking to them] would be able to see the entire train of crumbs, and then know by looking at those crumbs which is the good stuff, which is not; and then be able to convert my wandering path, into something that is more efficient.




Tree markers updated

As I continue in advance, then return to the village for more feedback, what I want is for these crumbs to retain their position, but have their meaning and context updated in terms of feedback that I get form the other gingerbread dolls.

All my crumbs stay out there. But I can inform others which crumbs to look at; which to follow; and which to ignore. And this happens in the future, and applies retroactively to the crumbs I've already left in the distant path.

In other words, as I drop new crumbs, individually they may not be all that meaningful. But in the future as I learn more and can see the whole picture, I'll have a better idea of what is really important, and which of those crumbs that I've left would be most helpful for purposes of

  • making a map;
  • sharing an organizing structure; or
  • most effectively organizing others to most quickly understand how I got to where I currently am.



    -- This is the end of the content --
  • I've been thinking about URLs, bookmarks, tags, and organizing systems.




    Gingerbread Doll

    When searching and sharing links, there's an analogy: I as the advance gingerbread doll am lost in the forest; meanwhile the rest of the gingerbread dolls are back at the village.

    My job is to leave crumbs so that I can find my way back, but then be able to go from my trail, in the reverse direction back to where I am, but without the drunken-sailor approach.

    Rather, I would know the most efficient line tracing me current position, through the breadcrumbs, back to the objective. This means eliminating the paths that go in circles, and connecting the best crumbs in the best way. All this without having to guess, but be told by some outside guiding force.





    Village

    What I want is a way to leave little crumbs along the way so that I can retrace my steps, but then have an automated way for those crumbs to find the minimum distance between them.

    What I'm looking for is a quick way to tag my way along the path, but then have my "system" [whatever that is, think enterprise] automatically log my path, then find the shortest distance between the juice and where others might want to start.

    What I'd like is a fluid way to then move these item-paths around so that I can quickly create a roadmap for others to follow. Think of this as kind of like having an automated site-map, but it applies to my adventures on the web.

    Most people don't want to read lists of links. What they want is context to those links. But I'm having trouble with these tagging systems. They're just more links.

    What I'd really like is an overarching organizing method that extracts the linking systems and will more seamlessly create a meaningful structure that I can send as a single packet of information.




    LP: Optimal path


    That's right: Once all this data gets thrown into a single package, I'd like to export this information along a feed and then the next person can quickly follow my specific path to the destination, but go directly along the most efficient route, as opposed to retracing all the dead ends or distractions.

    Ideally, I'd like to do more than simply ship links; rather, I'd like to be able combine the activities from different days-searching into a single concept-related group; and then quickly export this.

    In other words, as I dive into the forest, leave crumbs, I don't want to have to make everyone else follow each link that I've saved. I want a faster way for others to see the structure of what I've found; and then I want to be able to apply my future-findings to this idealized structure.

    In turn, in the future, as I go new places, and find better ways to organize these routes, I want the future "better patterns and organizing" to retroactively apply to my previous links-juice.

    Summary

    Suppose I'm the gingerbread doll-lead of the gingerbread village. What I want is to be able to leave crumbs as I walk. And then someone who follows me [and me not talking to them] would be able to see the entire train of crumbs, and then know by looking at those crumbs which is the good stuff, which is not; and then be able to convert my wandering path, into something that is more efficient.




    Tree markers updated

    As I continue in advance, then return to the village for more feedback, what I want is for these crumbs to retain their position, but have their meaning and context updated in terms of feedback that I get form the other gingerbread dolls.

    All my crumbs stay out there. But I can inform others which crumbs to look at; which to follow; and which to ignore. And this happens in the future, and applies retroactively to the crumbs I've already left in the distant path.

    In other words, as I drop new crumbs, individually they may not be all that meaningful. But in the future as I learn more and can see the whole picture, I'll have a better idea of what is really important, and which of those crumbs that I've left would be most helpful for purposes of

  • making a map;
  • sharing an organizing structure; or
  • most effectively organizing others to most quickly understand how I got to where I currently am.



    -- This is the end of the content --
    " />