13 May 2005

Using Anime to promote XML feeds

Out of the blue someone walked into my life. We had an interesting conversation.

I thought, "It would be really interesting to read their blog."

A blank, "What's a blog?"

They said they were very interested in learning things, and I asked, "Have you ever heard of XML?"

Another blank.

"It's kind of like combining e-mail and webpages. But instead of you having to visit the webpage, the content comes to you."

They mentioned they like to learn things.

I thought perfect, "Someone who wants to learn something, who doesn't know about either blogs or XML, I could show them in minutes . . ."

Their concept of a blog was from their own experience. When I mentioned an online journal, the first thing they thought of, "Someone is going to share their problems, and I don't want to deal with that."

When I explained various types of research, content, or prospective searches they could get

Sometimes people talk about "wanting to learn" as more of a conversational piece, but when given the door way they're not ready to walk through and enjoy their Anime cartoons.

But I learned something new.

I didn't ask them what they really wanted to do: Watch TV.

Their idea of "the internet" was a way to get e-mail. Nothing more.

At first, I thought they weren't really interested in learning new things. Just talking about learning things. Then I realized my approach was wrong.

What I learned

I need to really understand where someone is coming from, whether they're really open to new ideas. Most people are if they are presented in the right way.

XML feeds would be interesting if they could provide live-action anime. Not things that are standard icons, but real-live feeds from the production companies.

But they're not necessarily something that can add color to words. For some, the images are the entire story, and they don't want to read.

If I had simply pointed to some live-anime feeds that might've done the trick. No need to mention blogs, aggregators, or XML.

Let the tools show case what they're interested in.

Post script

Now, we'll see how much they want anime: A quick search of the hits doesn't really give much quality content or images. Just people talking about . . .

Anyone out there know of some really good blog-feeds with 100% anime pictures?

The list of quality Anime feeds

[ Check back -- coming soon! ]

Tests

IceRocket anime-search-to-feed doesn't appear to work.

Category: Interesting, but not XML

Johnny Appleseed

Category: No comment

Looking for Animen?

Sign me up!
Out of the blue someone walked into my life. We had an interesting conversation.

I thought, "It would be really interesting to read their blog."

A blank, "What's a blog?"

They said they were very interested in learning things, and I asked, "Have you ever heard of XML?"

Another blank.

"It's kind of like combining e-mail and webpages. But instead of you having to visit the webpage, the content comes to you."

They mentioned they like to learn things.

I thought perfect, "Someone who wants to learn something, who doesn't know about either blogs or XML, I could show them in minutes . . ."

Their concept of a blog was from their own experience. When I mentioned an online journal, the first thing they thought of, "Someone is going to share their problems, and I don't want to deal with that."

When I explained various types of research, content, or prospective searches they could get

Sometimes people talk about "wanting to learn" as more of a conversational piece, but when given the door way they're not ready to walk through and enjoy their Anime cartoons.

But I learned something new.

I didn't ask them what they really wanted to do: Watch TV.

Their idea of "the internet" was a way to get e-mail. Nothing more.

At first, I thought they weren't really interested in learning new things. Just talking about learning things. Then I realized my approach was wrong.

What I learned

I need to really understand where someone is coming from, whether they're really open to new ideas. Most people are if they are presented in the right way.

XML feeds would be interesting if they could provide live-action anime. Not things that are standard icons, but real-live feeds from the production companies.

But they're not necessarily something that can add color to words. For some, the images are the entire story, and they don't want to read.

If I had simply pointed to some live-anime feeds that might've done the trick. No need to mention blogs, aggregators, or XML.

Let the tools show case what they're interested in.

Post script

Now, we'll see how much they want anime: A quick search of the hits doesn't really give much quality content or images. Just people talking about . . .

Anyone out there know of some really good blog-feeds with 100% anime pictures?

The list of quality Anime feeds

[ Check back -- coming soon! ]

Tests

IceRocket anime-search-to-feed doesn't appear to work.

Category: Interesting, but not XML

Johnny Appleseed

Category: No comment

Looking for Animen?

Sign me up!
" />