21 May 2005

XML Concepts: Aggregators with color coding signals on feed popularity

I've got an idea for aggregators and feeds.

Have you noticed how some feeds [content-wise] start to diverge from the "reason you really signed" up?

Sometimes publishers get into a funk, or they start publishing stuff that I'm really not interested in.

Do I want to delete their feed? No.

But what I'd like is a signaling system so that I don't keep reading their garbage while they're "going through what they're going through."

Namely, I'd like a way to say to the aggregator, "Hay, this feed is starting to annoy me, how about not bothering me for a couple of days."

Then, the feed slides into the "probation" status, and when I see it next, I don't see content, I just look at the color of the feed and say, "Do I want to see it, yet?"

If not, I can extend the deadline and the feed will disappear for a while longer.

The next time it comes back, it has a different shade of the color, corresponding to "how long it's been since I last looked at the feed."

Here's what I really want

A way to "not read content in feeds" but still stay subscribed

A way to not hear from a feed for a specific period of time; and have the option to toggle the feed-alerts so that even though I'm not monitoring the feed, I can still get caught up at a later time. Namely, even though I'm making all my feeds "read," I can still quickly get access to this particular feed and "get caught up" when I decide to start monitoring it again.

I'd like to see some sort of sliding movement-option in the aggregator-feed list. Namely, if I have a feed that is "less popular", I'd like to have the option to change the display of my feeds from a simple list in the files to something that ranks the feeds based on my interest.

For example, Yahoo has this buzz-alert system based on content-key word searches. Notice how there's an up and down arrow system by the key word. I'd like an option on my feeds to do the same so that I can track and more quickly have "to the top of my list" those feeds that I really find interesting.

After a while, if feed is "below some level that I decide" I'd like to have the aggregator flash-signal me and say, "You're subscribed to this feed, but it is below your threshold. Shall I delete the feed?" I'd like the option to adjust these signaling devices; turn them off; or override them.

Not all feeds are alike. But most of all, just because I'm subscribed to a feed it doesn't mean that I want to continue having the same priorities given to feeds that are less interesting, but something I still want to monitor.

Also, I'd like a faster way to mark "all the content read" in a given feed, as opposed to having to click through each page. My feed may spill over to three pages in the aggregator; I want the option to click "read all" with one click, as opposed to visiting all the pages.

For example: Suppose I've read over a blog, find it's feed, and then subscribe. Guess what? All the stuff shows up as new content, even though I've already read it.

Also, there are times that [for whatever reason] a feed starts reporting "new content," but it's the stuff I've already read. I don't want to scroll through all the content again saying, "read this" when I've already said that. Would prefer "one click" and also a quicker signaling system back to the aggregator of saying, "Hay, you keep sending me this 'new stuff,' but it's old. What's up with that?"

The aggregator is supposed to make my searching-reading easier, not more annoying.

-- This is the end of the content --
I've got an idea for aggregators and feeds.

Have you noticed how some feeds [content-wise] start to diverge from the "reason you really signed" up?

Sometimes publishers get into a funk, or they start publishing stuff that I'm really not interested in.

Do I want to delete their feed? No.

But what I'd like is a signaling system so that I don't keep reading their garbage while they're "going through what they're going through."

Namely, I'd like a way to say to the aggregator, "Hay, this feed is starting to annoy me, how about not bothering me for a couple of days."

Then, the feed slides into the "probation" status, and when I see it next, I don't see content, I just look at the color of the feed and say, "Do I want to see it, yet?"

If not, I can extend the deadline and the feed will disappear for a while longer.

The next time it comes back, it has a different shade of the color, corresponding to "how long it's been since I last looked at the feed."

Here's what I really want

A way to "not read content in feeds" but still stay subscribed

A way to not hear from a feed for a specific period of time; and have the option to toggle the feed-alerts so that even though I'm not monitoring the feed, I can still get caught up at a later time. Namely, even though I'm making all my feeds "read," I can still quickly get access to this particular feed and "get caught up" when I decide to start monitoring it again.

I'd like to see some sort of sliding movement-option in the aggregator-feed list. Namely, if I have a feed that is "less popular", I'd like to have the option to change the display of my feeds from a simple list in the files to something that ranks the feeds based on my interest.

For example, Yahoo has this buzz-alert system based on content-key word searches. Notice how there's an up and down arrow system by the key word. I'd like an option on my feeds to do the same so that I can track and more quickly have "to the top of my list" those feeds that I really find interesting.

After a while, if feed is "below some level that I decide" I'd like to have the aggregator flash-signal me and say, "You're subscribed to this feed, but it is below your threshold. Shall I delete the feed?" I'd like the option to adjust these signaling devices; turn them off; or override them.

Not all feeds are alike. But most of all, just because I'm subscribed to a feed it doesn't mean that I want to continue having the same priorities given to feeds that are less interesting, but something I still want to monitor.

Also, I'd like a faster way to mark "all the content read" in a given feed, as opposed to having to click through each page. My feed may spill over to three pages in the aggregator; I want the option to click "read all" with one click, as opposed to visiting all the pages.

For example: Suppose I've read over a blog, find it's feed, and then subscribe. Guess what? All the stuff shows up as new content, even though I've already read it.

Also, there are times that [for whatever reason] a feed starts reporting "new content," but it's the stuff I've already read. I don't want to scroll through all the content again saying, "read this" when I've already said that. Would prefer "one click" and also a quicker signaling system back to the aggregator of saying, "Hay, you keep sending me this 'new stuff,' but it's old. What's up with that?"

The aggregator is supposed to make my searching-reading easier, not more annoying.

-- This is the end of the content --
" />