07 May 2005

XML Concepts: Highlight copy and paste data to create a browser-linked pseudo-feed

I was working on a project where I was taking live streaming updates from one browser, and then combining the data with two other data feeds.

Small problem: Nothing was XML.

I got to thinking about this "cut and paste" exercise and thought it would be nice if there was a simpler way. [There actually is: There are java-tools which allow for auto-centering from NSLS.]

Getting back to my streaming-data on the browser: What if I could simply highlight the text-data from the first webpage, and then the receiving platform would know to continue to extract data from that point-source.

All this without any coding by the user, just highlight, copy, paste once and then the platforms would then follow that original data, and keep taking it.

Also, I thought it would be nice if there was an auto-update-refresh option in the browser. Meaning: If my incoming data [not on an XML feed] is streaming live, I don't want to have to sit there are refresh it every x-seconds to see if something new has showed up.

I'd like for the browser to automatically do this: Simply have a timer in the auto-refresh; when new data shows up, then the tool would take the data [using the browser-highlight-paste feature] and throw it into the transformation platform, function, or what have you.

Ideally, what I'd like is to be able to highlight text, throw it into a different platform like Excel, then have this same feature also link other platform streams [also not on XML], and then have a way to automatically link the browsers to this final platform.. . . just with a click, highlight, and paste option.

Then I'd like to know that this platform can integrate the data streams as the data shows up; and have transformation functions easily applied to this incoming data.

I'd also like to have confidence that these pseudo-feeding approach would let me quickly see new patterns, and give me a way to highlight new or incoming data that I might want to include in new transformations.

I may have only selected one data-set from the first webpage, but I'd like the tool to be able to tell me that there are some other interesting datasets on the same page that I may want to focus on [even though I haven't pasted it].

Ideally there'd be a roaming function on this browser-data-search approach, and the platform would automatically look at all the data available, not just the ones I selected.

Clearly, it would be nice if I could turn this off if I wanted to focus on one thing.

Summary

I'd like to be able to copy-create an integrated platform feed from many sites. I want to have real-time updates in my browser without having to click manually to refresh. I * like to have an auto-refresh function to see the new data.

Also, I'd like a way to maintain the browser settings, so that when I do refresh, I do have the option to maintain the vertical-horizontal settings, but the only thing that would refresh is the data, not the browser location.

Also, even though there is new data showing up, I'd like to have the option to have a command that requires the user to input. That way, if I'm working on the existing data [and don't want the new data yet] I don't get the new data when I'm not ready.

I also want to be able to capture the incoming data by simply highlighting it; and then have the tool aggregating the incoming data into a third platform like Excel. This would be like creating an aggregating function in a non-XML aggregator.
I was working on a project where I was taking live streaming updates from one browser, and then combining the data with two other data feeds.

Small problem: Nothing was XML.

I got to thinking about this "cut and paste" exercise and thought it would be nice if there was a simpler way. [There actually is: There are java-tools which allow for auto-centering from NSLS.]

Getting back to my streaming-data on the browser: What if I could simply highlight the text-data from the first webpage, and then the receiving platform would know to continue to extract data from that point-source.

All this without any coding by the user, just highlight, copy, paste once and then the platforms would then follow that original data, and keep taking it.

Also, I thought it would be nice if there was an auto-update-refresh option in the browser. Meaning: If my incoming data [not on an XML feed] is streaming live, I don't want to have to sit there are refresh it every x-seconds to see if something new has showed up.

I'd like for the browser to automatically do this: Simply have a timer in the auto-refresh; when new data shows up, then the tool would take the data [using the browser-highlight-paste feature] and throw it into the transformation platform, function, or what have you.

Ideally, what I'd like is to be able to highlight text, throw it into a different platform like Excel, then have this same feature also link other platform streams [also not on XML], and then have a way to automatically link the browsers to this final platform.. . . just with a click, highlight, and paste option.

Then I'd like to know that this platform can integrate the data streams as the data shows up; and have transformation functions easily applied to this incoming data.

I'd also like to have confidence that these pseudo-feeding approach would let me quickly see new patterns, and give me a way to highlight new or incoming data that I might want to include in new transformations.

I may have only selected one data-set from the first webpage, but I'd like the tool to be able to tell me that there are some other interesting datasets on the same page that I may want to focus on [even though I haven't pasted it].

Ideally there'd be a roaming function on this browser-data-search approach, and the platform would automatically look at all the data available, not just the ones I selected.

Clearly, it would be nice if I could turn this off if I wanted to focus on one thing.

Summary

I'd like to be able to copy-create an integrated platform feed from many sites. I want to have real-time updates in my browser without having to click manually to refresh. I * like to have an auto-refresh function to see the new data.

Also, I'd like a way to maintain the browser settings, so that when I do refresh, I do have the option to maintain the vertical-horizontal settings, but the only thing that would refresh is the data, not the browser location.

Also, even though there is new data showing up, I'd like to have the option to have a command that requires the user to input. That way, if I'm working on the existing data [and don't want the new data yet] I don't get the new data when I'm not ready.

I also want to be able to capture the incoming data by simply highlighting it; and then have the tool aggregating the incoming data into a third platform like Excel. This would be like creating an aggregating function in a non-XML aggregator.
" />