04 June 2005

Ping Message, PingOMatic, 4-Jun-05 UTC 15:53:40

Seeing something strange. When the services respond, not all of the come back with a conformation message.

Two came back with just a blank. They listed their name, but there was nothing to the right of the content saying what happened.

  • There were no messages next to either of these services:
    NewsGator results: [ blank space ]

    Blogdigger results: [ blank space ]


  • Unclear:

    - Is the service not getting the update?
    - Is FeedMesh sending information anyway?
    - Do I reping to just these two?
    - Can I get away with "just pinging one" and then FeedMesh will then transfer the pings to all the other services?

    In other words, I'm not sure if this is really a problem: If just one of the services get pinged, and assuming FeedMesh is working [that one ping to one gets shared with all], then maybe I should change my list of services to ping and simply ping only one of them.

    How about something in the blog letting us know when publishers can simply ping a single FeedMesh point, as opposed to pinging many of the services?

    That way, if just one ping goes through, I'll know when to update my auto-ping, and simply ping only one service and let FeedMesh take care of the rest.

    However, in the future, if I only ping one spot, how will I, as the publisher, know that the FeedMesh is actually working. Will there be a system in place for me to auto-check whether FeedMesh is actually forwarding the ping; and that the other services are really responding/getting notified as I'm told?

    If I have to spend time checking to make sure the pings got shared, then we don't need a FeedMesh. I still have to ping them all and track the ping-status.

    -- This is the end of the content --
  • Seeing something strange. When the services respond, not all of the come back with a conformation message.

    Two came back with just a blank. They listed their name, but there was nothing to the right of the content saying what happened.

  • There were no messages next to either of these services:
    NewsGator results: [ blank space ]

    Blogdigger results: [ blank space ]


  • Unclear:

    - Is the service not getting the update?
    - Is FeedMesh sending information anyway?
    - Do I reping to just these two?
    - Can I get away with "just pinging one" and then FeedMesh will then transfer the pings to all the other services?

    In other words, I'm not sure if this is really a problem: If just one of the services get pinged, and assuming FeedMesh is working [that one ping to one gets shared with all], then maybe I should change my list of services to ping and simply ping only one of them.

    How about something in the blog letting us know when publishers can simply ping a single FeedMesh point, as opposed to pinging many of the services?

    That way, if just one ping goes through, I'll know when to update my auto-ping, and simply ping only one service and let FeedMesh take care of the rest.

    However, in the future, if I only ping one spot, how will I, as the publisher, know that the FeedMesh is actually working. Will there be a system in place for me to auto-check whether FeedMesh is actually forwarding the ping; and that the other services are really responding/getting notified as I'm told?

    If I have to spend time checking to make sure the pings got shared, then we don't need a FeedMesh. I still have to ping them all and track the ping-status.

    -- This is the end of the content --
    " />