09 July 2005

Make aggregators integrate with external software

One thing I've noticed about aggregators is that they're just aggregators. You can't actually do much with them after they aggregate.

Think of a car. It's just isn't to burn fuel. It is to take you places.

Like an aggregator, the goal of a car isn't simply to take in fuel and then call it success.

Rather, for an aggregator to really work well, you have to be able to do something with that new information.

That's why I'd like to see aggregators actually integrate with software products like Excel and Powerpoint.

That way, I can use my aggregator as something that will find information, and display it in meaningful summary charts and data-bases in these external software products.

Right now, aggregators just collect information. The next step is to take that collection capability and create an integration function with these other software tools.

When aggregators can link with Excel and other products like Access, you might get me interested in taking RSS seriously. Right now, all I have is a large collection of data that isn't organized.

I really want a search-engine-like tool for the aggregator that is going to take the incoming data, find an external tool that will help me organize that information, and then create a method to integrate the aggregator outputs with this to-be-defined external platform.

Hay, it's all XML. Why not make the tools integrate, not just the feeds?

-- This is the end of the content --
One thing I've noticed about aggregators is that they're just aggregators. You can't actually do much with them after they aggregate.

Think of a car. It's just isn't to burn fuel. It is to take you places.

Like an aggregator, the goal of a car isn't simply to take in fuel and then call it success.

Rather, for an aggregator to really work well, you have to be able to do something with that new information.

That's why I'd like to see aggregators actually integrate with software products like Excel and Powerpoint.

That way, I can use my aggregator as something that will find information, and display it in meaningful summary charts and data-bases in these external software products.

Right now, aggregators just collect information. The next step is to take that collection capability and create an integration function with these other software tools.

When aggregators can link with Excel and other products like Access, you might get me interested in taking RSS seriously. Right now, all I have is a large collection of data that isn't organized.

I really want a search-engine-like tool for the aggregator that is going to take the incoming data, find an external tool that will help me organize that information, and then create a method to integrate the aggregator outputs with this to-be-defined external platform.

Hay, it's all XML. Why not make the tools integrate, not just the feeds?

-- This is the end of the content --
" />