04 November 2005

XML Concepts: E-mail desktop

Have you checked you e-mail in box lately, but had a hard time comparing messages?

Sometimes, we get updates, but we lose track of the original questions.

There's some talk about using a discussion-group-like formatting to let your e-mails weave their way: Your outgoing e-mail responses will get weaved with the incoming e-mail replies.

Brilliant.

Then I got to thinking about something: Suppose your "chat conversation order" is, well "out of order".

Or, suppose you're jumping back between documents and e-mails that aren't logically connected to eachother?

Here's what I thought would be nice . . .

"It would be nice" if I could go to my e-mail in-box, and then have a horizontal scrolling ability: So that I can horizontally scroll and see all the relevant documents.

That way, I could attach this RSS-feed of my selected-e-mails; and attach them as a single element to my e-mail, either as an attachment, or internally within the e-mail.

Then, when I'm pointing to various documents, I can more easily throw down all 5 documents and highlight each of them in a single box and simply say: "Hay, see document 5, notice the highlighting, we've got a slip-up here in the response from document 1, 2, 3 and 7."

Rather than having to copy each of the segments or copy from each original e-mail, all I'd have to do is simply throw down the e-mail, and let the reader [you, a person looking at my e-mail] and look at them as if you were looking at a number of documents on your desk top.



-- This is the end of the content --
Have you checked you e-mail in box lately, but had a hard time comparing messages?

Sometimes, we get updates, but we lose track of the original questions.

There's some talk about using a discussion-group-like formatting to let your e-mails weave their way: Your outgoing e-mail responses will get weaved with the incoming e-mail replies.

Brilliant.

Then I got to thinking about something: Suppose your "chat conversation order" is, well "out of order".

Or, suppose you're jumping back between documents and e-mails that aren't logically connected to eachother?

Here's what I thought would be nice . . .

"It would be nice" if I could go to my e-mail in-box, and then have a horizontal scrolling ability: So that I can horizontally scroll and see all the relevant documents.

That way, I could attach this RSS-feed of my selected-e-mails; and attach them as a single element to my e-mail, either as an attachment, or internally within the e-mail.

Then, when I'm pointing to various documents, I can more easily throw down all 5 documents and highlight each of them in a single box and simply say: "Hay, see document 5, notice the highlighting, we've got a slip-up here in the response from document 1, 2, 3 and 7."

Rather than having to copy each of the segments or copy from each original e-mail, all I'd have to do is simply throw down the e-mail, and let the reader [you, a person looking at my e-mail] and look at them as if you were looking at a number of documents on your desk top.



-- This is the end of the content --
" />