11 November 2005

XML Concepts: Tag Extraction from OPML

One thing I've noticed with a list of links, is that the links are interesting, but they really don't help the reader.

For example, suppose you run across a list of del.icio.us links, or a webpage with links to "recommended reading".

What do you do to quickly find what the good stuff is?

Ideally, what would be nice is if there was a way to automatically dig into the linked content, find the material, organize it, and then extract summary data from the content at these links, and then showcase it in a summary format.

Bluntly, I don't want to review 100 links individually to organize the data; nor do I want to tell a webmaster to "better organize their list of links". They don't care what I want; and I don't care how they organize it.

So here are some thoughts on how this could be done.

First, I'd like for the aggregator to find a single webpage.

Then, I want the aggregator to dig into the tag-related data for those links and webpages, and return them. I want the aggregator to search across the RSS platforms and find out who has commented on that piece, how they've tagged it, and then have the RSS tool dig into the original content and find the key concepts.

Then, I want the aggregator to extract these tags, organize them, and create a meaningful arrangement.

Finally, what I want by each summary tag is a pop-up window that lets me choose from the original list, the items related to that tag.

I'm looking for the following

A. A way to quickly summarize and organize not just the link-names, but the embedded content at that link

B. A method to summarize the content below/embedded within the link in some meaningful summary tables

C. A method to take a list of random, disorganized links, and then extract a summary organization that allows be to find what is most useful without me having to dig into each item separately

D. A method to apply this summary-organization tool to either a singe webpage, a blog, or a table

I do not care whether the summary data is in a table, but I would like to see a three-dimensional floating-tag-display, and something by each tag that pop-up to show me a menu that displays the detailed links related to that particular tag.

I'd like to be able to move the 3-d image of the tags around in free space either by manual or auto-rotation

I'd like to be able to include new webpages within the original so that as I add new webpages, I can see how the new links at that second webpage add or adjust the original three 3-rendering

I'd like to be able to see a comparison-feature so that as I add new lists of links from OPML, I can see by summary or individual level how a particular web-page-link or OPML is adjusting the tag-pattern.

I want to be able to take an OPML, list of links, or a list of RSS-returns from a XML feed subscription and see the embedded details within that in free space, not simply as a list in an aggregator.


-- This is the end of the content --
One thing I've noticed with a list of links, is that the links are interesting, but they really don't help the reader.

For example, suppose you run across a list of del.icio.us links, or a webpage with links to "recommended reading".

What do you do to quickly find what the good stuff is?

Ideally, what would be nice is if there was a way to automatically dig into the linked content, find the material, organize it, and then extract summary data from the content at these links, and then showcase it in a summary format.

Bluntly, I don't want to review 100 links individually to organize the data; nor do I want to tell a webmaster to "better organize their list of links". They don't care what I want; and I don't care how they organize it.

So here are some thoughts on how this could be done.

First, I'd like for the aggregator to find a single webpage.

Then, I want the aggregator to dig into the tag-related data for those links and webpages, and return them. I want the aggregator to search across the RSS platforms and find out who has commented on that piece, how they've tagged it, and then have the RSS tool dig into the original content and find the key concepts.

Then, I want the aggregator to extract these tags, organize them, and create a meaningful arrangement.

Finally, what I want by each summary tag is a pop-up window that lets me choose from the original list, the items related to that tag.

I'm looking for the following

A. A way to quickly summarize and organize not just the link-names, but the embedded content at that link

B. A method to summarize the content below/embedded within the link in some meaningful summary tables

C. A method to take a list of random, disorganized links, and then extract a summary organization that allows be to find what is most useful without me having to dig into each item separately

D. A method to apply this summary-organization tool to either a singe webpage, a blog, or a table

I do not care whether the summary data is in a table, but I would like to see a three-dimensional floating-tag-display, and something by each tag that pop-up to show me a menu that displays the detailed links related to that particular tag.

I'd like to be able to move the 3-d image of the tags around in free space either by manual or auto-rotation

I'd like to be able to include new webpages within the original so that as I add new webpages, I can see how the new links at that second webpage add or adjust the original three 3-rendering

I'd like to be able to see a comparison-feature so that as I add new lists of links from OPML, I can see by summary or individual level how a particular web-page-link or OPML is adjusting the tag-pattern.

I want to be able to take an OPML, list of links, or a list of RSS-returns from a XML feed subscription and see the embedded details within that in free space, not simply as a list in an aggregator.


-- This is the end of the content --
" />