25 September 2006

Comment Notification Feature

How many of you lose track of sites you've left comments?

I do that all the time.

I'd really like to know if someone has bothered to visit the site, made a comment, and do this without checking.

Yet, the site isn't mine, and I can't make a code that is going to affect that site.

But I don't want to subscribe to the feed, I just care about a specific comment that I made, and want to know about that comment.

I'm not talking about reading the comment and people commenting on it. I'm talking about whether that comment even gets posted. Some bloggers (shocked, shocked) will modify or not allow comments!

What if there was a way that I was notified (as the commenter) that a specific comment I submitted did get posted. I don't want to monitor the comments, I just want to know when that specific comment that I submitted did or did not get posted.

What’s needed is a method to notify the poster when a specifically submitted comment was accepted, and posted; or if it was rejected. If i keep sending comments, but they're rejected, I might want to find another feed, and get rid of this one.

What this method would do is send a message with XML to the aggregator (along one of the channels) a notification that my comment posted; and attached to that notification is a link-URI for the comment; and then an auto-method to track whether anyone else is linking to that comment.

As it stands, I have to wait for the comment to get posted; get the URI for the posted comment; and then post it in my blog; then make a comment, "Look, here's a comment I made. And they're all talking about it. Wow, I feel special." Wouldn't it be nice to simply make a comment, and have the data related to that comment automatically got posted to my aggregator.

Also, if after a certain time, I would get a message or notification that my commented did not generate a post, there was no notification, and no URI. Ideally, when there were certain conditions met, I may have a feature in the aggregator that says, "Hay, if they've waited 3 weeks, and rejected it, I might want to send them a thank you note.’Thanks for taking three weeks to review my comment. I'm glad you carefully considered my views. Maybe next time, I'll be more succinct, and stay on topic. Sorry, things didn't work out. I'll try to stay within the rules next time. Please do not ban me."

[Blah, blah]

-- This is the end of the content --
How many of you lose track of sites you've left comments?

I do that all the time.

I'd really like to know if someone has bothered to visit the site, made a comment, and do this without checking.

Yet, the site isn't mine, and I can't make a code that is going to affect that site.

But I don't want to subscribe to the feed, I just care about a specific comment that I made, and want to know about that comment.

I'm not talking about reading the comment and people commenting on it. I'm talking about whether that comment even gets posted. Some bloggers (shocked, shocked) will modify or not allow comments!

What if there was a way that I was notified (as the commenter) that a specific comment I submitted did get posted. I don't want to monitor the comments, I just want to know when that specific comment that I submitted did or did not get posted.

What’s needed is a method to notify the poster when a specifically submitted comment was accepted, and posted; or if it was rejected. If i keep sending comments, but they're rejected, I might want to find another feed, and get rid of this one.

What this method would do is send a message with XML to the aggregator (along one of the channels) a notification that my comment posted; and attached to that notification is a link-URI for the comment; and then an auto-method to track whether anyone else is linking to that comment.

As it stands, I have to wait for the comment to get posted; get the URI for the posted comment; and then post it in my blog; then make a comment, "Look, here's a comment I made. And they're all talking about it. Wow, I feel special." Wouldn't it be nice to simply make a comment, and have the data related to that comment automatically got posted to my aggregator.

Also, if after a certain time, I would get a message or notification that my commented did not generate a post, there was no notification, and no URI. Ideally, when there were certain conditions met, I may have a feature in the aggregator that says, "Hay, if they've waited 3 weeks, and rejected it, I might want to send them a thank you note.’Thanks for taking three weeks to review my comment. I'm glad you carefully considered my views. Maybe next time, I'll be more succinct, and stay on topic. Sorry, things didn't work out. I'll try to stay within the rules next time. Please do not ban me."

[Blah, blah]

-- This is the end of the content --
" />